A realization - Chapter 9

Birds chirped as the sun rose from the horizon, bringing light to fight against the darkness of night.

The wind gently blew by as leaves danced with it, curtains to a room blew open, allowing the light to shine in. As the room became lit the sleeping boys stirred, one waking up.

Opening his eyes he was greeted with the beautiful look of his sleeping companion. The second males dark hair messily laid over his face.

Venti's green eyes widened at the view, blush creeping onto his face. The wind flew in from the window, hitting the bard in the face.

Letting out an annoyed mumble he quickly forced himself to calm down, taking a deep breath. Once he did the wind settled.

But as he gazed back down at the male next to him he couldn't help but silently freak out. The mere look of the peaceful sleeping yaksha from such a close angle was enough to make his heart skip beats.

Calm down.. You've been looking at him for the last four day's. At that thought made Venti realized something. I've been away from the nation for five or six day's now, I should head back...

He looked back at Xiao and his heart yelled for him to stay, stay at least another week, stay so he could gaze at that face every morning.

Venti knew he couldn't stay but the thought of waking up next to Xiao really made him want to.

I should get up, start the day. What if I wake Xiao? I spent all that time bossing him to sleep just to wake him up early?

He sighed and slowly began to sit up but as he did Xiao groaned in his sleep and tightened his grip around Venti. The bards face bloomed bright pink as he felt Xiao's hand grip his sides.

Celestia why is he so cute?! Venti moved his hand to try and pry Xiao off but it wasn't working that well.

Eventually he did get one hand free but was unable to get Xiao's other hand to let go.

As he was shuffling and moving around it made the yaksha wake up. Slowly opening his yellow eyes, he was confused on what was happening.

Glancing up he was met with Venti, half way sitting up and trying to get something off of him.

This wasn't the first time he woke up to Venti as the day before he woke up to Venti's nose pressed against his neck.

Xiao squinted to try and see what Venti was doing, blushing upon realizing he was trying to pry Xiao's iron grip on his hip.

Becoming embarrassed Xiao quickly let go and sat up, looking away.

"Oh- your awake—"

"Sorry about.. that." Xiao answered, interrupting Venti.

Realizing the embarrassed expression on the adepti's face Venti shook his head.

"It's alright, Xiao. I didn't mind, just couldn't get up, hehe.." The bard tried to reassure.

Even with the reassurance Xiao felt bad, forcing an archon to deal with his odd sleeping habits.

Being left without a reply Venti sat up fully and moved to the edge of the bed, hesitating for a moment he stood up. Walking around the bed he stood in front of Xiao, reaching and slowly tilting the yaksha's head up.

"Hey, what's that sad look for?" Venti said with a gentle smile. "You can go back to sleep if you're still tired."

Xiao gazed at Venti in awe, seeing his braids undone and his soft expression, it seemed almost unreal.

Xiao blinked as he realized he hadn't answered Venti's question.

"I'm not tired, are you going to go anywhere today?"

"Oh, I wasn't planning anything specific, maybe sightseeing."

"Hm..." He paused to think. "May I join you?"

The bard blinked slowly, his cheeks blushing a light pink. Even just the suggestion of company was very flattering to Venti.

"Of course you can, let's get ready."

As the two got dressed Venti paused, picking up his hat.

I'll have to leave tomorrow, one extra day won't hurt. He placed his hat on his head and looked at Xiao.

"Finished?" The yaksha asked, standing by the door. The bard nodded and happily walked over, taking Xiao's hand as they walk out of the inn.

And so they spent the day climbing mountains and walking through ruins. There were even moments where they stopped to watch animals and monsters. Finding views like slimes trying to stack on one another and hilichurls dancing together.

Xiao and Venti did talk but most of their time together was spent silent, peacefully enjoying each others company.