56

The cottage is small and quaint.

It stood unseen to anyone who did not have permission to see it. The dark log cabin with large almost floor to ceiling windows and deck that overlooked the lake, looked virtually undisturbed but well maintained. As if someone had just done landscaping this morning.

Rosie and I had walked by this place countless times, completely unaware of the house that we now stared at from the inside of the car. Its a house, no doubt, that her and I would have tried to sneak into when we were kids.

No human lived in this area around the lake. Over the years, humans became fearful of living alone or in remote places, so instead houses clustered and crowded the village streets. Those who did decide to live farther away from the villages were always seen as odd and outcasts. Rumors would spread like wildfires about them, specifically the old lady who my brother got himself killed over.

Most of the outer houses were torn down by humans for scrap wood when my mother was just a child. Times were dark back then, even darker than they are now. Rations and sustainable housing were slim and people became desperate.

I always thought those who lived on the outer parts of the villages were insane but I could see the appeal. Less guards, less people to interact with, more peace. But then again I don't think I would have ever been able to get myself to move out of the main street of the village.

Back then, Henry used to talk about our future and where we would live. He had hoped that he could save money from working in the mines and that my family climbed the ladder enough to be allowed to build a home right on the edge of the forest, similar to where this cabin is.

At the time I didn't understand why he wanted to be so far from the village. Not to mention how far it would be from the mines where he worked. But I can see now why he wanted to be so far from everyone. One way or another he was inevitably going to drag me down with him.

I shake the thoughts out of my head and step out of the car. I breathe in the fresh crisp air that smelled of pine and the leaves that crunched under my feet. Fall was arriving much faster here compared to the castle. Then again, it always felt colder here compared to the castle. I could only assume it's because of the shadow that is casted over this village from the Woodmine mountains to the north.

Rosie stood next to me and rested her head on my shoulder to admire the view of the lake from the cobblestone driveway.

"I would never complain again if I could live here for the rest of my life," Rosie smiled.

"Wow that would be giving up your whole personality," I joked.

"I know right," she laughed before grabbing my hand and pulling me towards the front door, "C'mon I want to check out the inside!"

We ran up the steps and burst through the front door before Amber even had a chance to open it.

The living room was large with dark wood furniture and cream textiles. A large stone fire place sat in the center of the wall and ran all the way up to the ceiling. A large circular chandelier hung in the center of the room with candles already light and flickering. The place radiated with warm and cozy, much different from the feeling of the castle.

The kitchen was located directly behind the living room and held the same theme with dark wood cabinets and black granite countertops. Next to the large windows was a built in breakfast nook which was already set with various foods and fruits to snack on until dinner.

"It smells incredible in here," Rosie sighed in satisfaction, "Like driftwood and cinnamon."

"It reminds me of the old book shop we used to have when we were kids," I smile at the nostalgic memory.