chapter nine

JUNE 17, 1985

WINONA D'ALIA

Blades of grass folded under Winona's yellow sandals as she wandered aimlessly down a trodden path. Her mind felt heavier than usual, weighing down on her frail shoulders. She decided that her heart was a traitorous and wretched thing. It sought to watch her crumble.

She hated being so unsure and torn.

Especially over a man.

A married man!

She huffed.

"Slow down, Winona!" Emmett shouted. Shielding her eyes from the blazing sun, Winona looked over her shoulder. Emmett fastened his pace to reach her and adjusted the woven picnic basket against his torso. "I can't keep up with your trail of fire. All that huffing and puffing..."

Winona planted her hands on her hips. "I am not huffing and puffing."

"Oh, but you are!" He teased. "You're frightening when you're angry. Angry little Goddess."

"I'm not angry!"

"And you make denial look beautiful."

Winona faltered at his words and felt her face heat. She wanted to scream, but found her voice muddled under layers of deceit and guilt.

You will always be the other woman if you follow through...

Indeed, her heart was traitorous and wretched. No one could know of her fantasies, her dreams. The poison, the lust, would be the death of her. It would ruin her. That was most unfortunate and saddening, perhaps. Salvatore would walk away unscathed from the scandal.

After all, he's a man.

Emmett came to a stop in front of her, sunlight filtering through the leaves and onto his brown skin. Golden undertones warm his chiseled features, shadows delicately dancing across his figure. She adored his woodsy scent, which somehow always smelled like home. He leaned forward and she found comfort in his eyes. She could count the freckles scattered across the bridge of his nose.

One... two... three...

With a softer touch, Emmett brushed away strands of stray hair from her face, and the beat of her heart hastened. Under the light, beneath the swaying branches and leaves, they shared an innocent breath.

"What's on your mind, Winona?" His thumb traced circles against her cheek. "Talk to me."

"Have you ever wanted something that you can't have?"

"Always, Winona."

"Is it... Is it wrong?"

"No." His honeyed gaze dropped to her lips. "It's human, isn't it?"

It's human.

Emmett tipped her chin toward him and, at that moment, it occurred to Winona that he was close.

Too close.

Emmett's eyes bore the same want and desire that she felt toward another man.