chapter thirteen

JULY 03, 1985

WINONA D'ALIA

"Beautiful, isn't it?"

Winona lowered her gaze from the intricate scenery and vivid colors painted on the ceiling, unshed tears threatening to spill down her cheeks. She parted her lips, but not a single sound followed.

Though incomplete, it was a masterpiece of grand proportions.

Even she couldn't deny the raw talent that Salvatore possessed.

The artist had conjured a celestial scene, with heavenly clouds parting to reveal angels. The otherworldly messengers were cloaked in colorful robes, pastel pinks, purples, yellows, and blues. Their ethereal wings seemed to come alive, almost ready to flutter and take flight, as they gracefully descended to the Earthly scene below. There, lavish green fields and serene lakes awaited their arrival.

It was a brilliant play of shadow and light, one that made the foyer ceiling seem infinite.

Mama tipped her chin high, taking in the mesmerizing tableau above. The scale of the painting was enough to leave any onlooker in awe, as it transformed the foyer into a place of grandeur.

She raised her cane, pointing toward it. "See how the paint catches the light? The angels, they're glowing."

"I-It's gone," Winona spoke softly, her voice dripping with sorrow and disbelief. "He painted over papa's work. It's all gone."

"My dear," her mother sighed. "This is something that Faris could have never achieved."

"That's because it killed him." Winona scoffed with burning anger, nails digging into her palms. "He did everything to please you. Papa was suffering and... and- This killed him."

"Oh, Winona. It is time to let go."

Her mother's words were like a dagger, severing the final bonds of their relationship. She knew everyone processed grief differently. Forgetting, erasing, denying. That was mama's way.

"Salvatore predicts it'll be complete in the next three months. Isn't that exciting?"

Winona stared at her mother, numb and speechless. She faced the ceiling again, its colors blurring as tears spilled from her eyes. As her mother gushed over the work, Winona turned on her heels and left the manor. She followed the well-trodden trail, an aching desire to destroy everything in her path. The leaves rustled softly in the summer breeze, but even that wasn't enough to soothe her.

"Winny!"

Emmett waved to her from afar with a genuine smile on his face, but his hand froze mid-air upon noticing the frustration on her face. He abandoned the wooden logs he had been working on and jogged across the field.

Despite his efforts to catch up, Winona showed no signs of stopping. Her eyes remained fixed ahead, as if the path would somehow lead to another world where she could escape from her troubles.

Where will you go?

"Hold on, Winona! Always running away..."

Her heels dug into the grass on their own accord, and she finally faced him. Winona's chest heaved with the intensity of her emotions, the hurt and pain leaking through the cracks.

"Leave me alone, Emmett!" Her eyes softened. "Please."

"No. Talk to me, Winny. I haven't seen you around since... Well, never mind that." He wiped the sweat off his brow. "What happened?"

"She won." Winona cried. "Salvatore covered all that was left of him. It's all gone-" Her words broke into a choked sob, and she couldn't continue.

As if he understood, Emmett dropped his shoulders and stepped closer. The aroma of freshly tilled soil, mixed with a hint of his sweat, overcame her as he wrapped his arms around her trembling frame. She relaxed in his warm embrace. Winona rested her head on his shoulder, allowing his shirt to soak her tears.