chapter ten

JUNE 26, 1985

SALVATORE RINALDI

"I do."

Two simple words.

Three simple letters.

"I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may now kiss the bride!"

His fate was sealed with a beautiful, deadly kiss.

Keeping it short and sweet, Salvatore withdrew with a shy smile and faced the crowd. The open glass windows allowed bright sunlight to filter into the church. The golden ornaments glimmered across walls of white.

Paradise. Salvatore swore he could almost taste it as they walked down the aisle, hand in hand.

Wedding bells chimed in the distance, drawing his attention away from his pounding pulse...

Salvatore chewed on the inside of his cheek, eyes flitting across the room to find his muse huddled by her friends. The girls giggled and laughed, whispering things to one another. Winona remained in the center, privy to all their gossip. Even in the most crowded room, she garnered all of his attention.

She evaded him during the day.

And, like all people, Salvatore was prone to overthinking.

Perhaps she regretted their kiss.

No.

The nagging thought made him recoil, but Salvatore had little time to ponder over it.

"You, my friend, look like you're in need of a drink." Vincent, who was only slightly intoxicated, threw his arm over Salvatore's shoulders for support as he swayed. "Tequila?"

"I'm going to need something stronger."

"Ha!" Vincent slapped his back, lurching him forward. "That's the Sal I know. Do I want to know why?"

"This place is fucking with my mind, Vince."

"Yeah... You do look like you've seen Hell."

Salvatore flinched at his words and settled his gaze on Winona again. She fit perfectly in this lavish lifestyle, adorned with dainty gold jewelry and silk dresses. Yet, she was always searching for an escape. It'd be a miracle to know what Winona D'Alia was thinking about. What secret wants and desires has she buried?

As if she could read his mind, Winona's dark eyes settled on him. Even in the low lighting of the ballroom, he could see the vermilion red painting her cheeks. Winona tucked her bottom lip between her teeth and he craved her taste.