CHAPTER ONE

The streets of Kampala were covered with elegance and pleasant aroma from the restaurants in the thick of the  capital and within the city outskirts.
Nature looked more natural for this day, grass seemed greener, birds more lively in melodious chants, streams gurling with calm roars around the town.
This would be strange to strangers in the community but not to the community residents who had acquaintance of the same.
Temperatures were higher than expected to be amidst the drizzle.

A red Mercedes Benz numbered UAB189F with sharp  bumpers and an iron bonnet was cruising through the school lobby.
The tiny rain drops touched the ground with affiliation and washed the mud off the hubcap of the vehicle tyres.
The school looked distinct from its visual appearance as per its brochures and billboards across the streets of Kampala.

The lobby was brown rusty with a pale worn out green italic inscription, "YOU ARE WELCOME" and incandescent light bulbs above the two sculptures besides the lobby supporting poles.
The sculpture of the thinker by Auguste Rodin was on the right hand side of the lobby. It was  a replica of Auguste Rodin's work by a famous artist in Kampala known as Kakuru Seth, he had lately got obsessed by people calling him Seth the thinker.
His  thinker sculpture had been made from wood and looked more of a naked soldier in a hot zone of a battle field hiding away from arrows than a thinker. On the left was another sculpture; The Nike of Samothrace. Not a teacher could explain the source of the sculpture, but at least every body who could wanted to take pictures and snaps around it.
The car port was similarly rattled, with emerging grass from the aging concrete and about three anthills had sprung in the center of the park lot.

An infantile foot shove out. She kept still in the car as if a queen of Nineva awaiting loud cacophony in warm reception.
She starred at the third floor of the flat and she started to move, as if already aware of her destination.

"Meet in the evening young girl" He was a man with a shiny balding head. He creased his face in a gesture of seriousness.
He clad in a pair of blue fraying jeans, somewhat cheap yellow sneakers and a checked blazer of green and black stripes.
She gave no reply and just proceeded to subtle without slightly trying to jolt her head back.
He was not so much concerned as most drivers will be.
"Your umbrella" he said in a high astonished pitch for cattle herdsmen.
She didn't look back, she showed him a sign of thumbs down and he read it with ease. She was a girl whose actions were at least a decade older than her.

He remembered his years of school. He had moved bare footed in his clean but torn green shirt.
Had it been green anywhere, his teachers had kept on emphasing the school uniform color to be green. He nonetheless believed his teachers although his own shirt seemed to be distinct. Sometimes he thought it was grey or light blue, sometimes he thought it had both colors.
He remembered the innumerable times it had terribly rained on him. Had he died?, .....  He wasn't sure. He pinched his cheeks and a cryptic smile followed.
"I am still alive.... Haha....."
Lack of an umbrella in such a mild drizzle wouldn't hurt so much.
He stared at her as she clambered up the stairs. She reached the third floor and waved him goodbye, her face wearing a monalisa smile. She looked beautiful. This is the type of woman he would get if he could be born again. He smiled wistfully at his incredulous desires.
He still regreted why he had decided to fall in love with Bridget the woman he had lived with for the last 20 years. Bridget had decided to abandon him for lack of the wealth she had desired. She had been taken by Michael Kakumba a famous lawyer in Kampala. They had gotten married two years later and he had attended the wedding himself. This had been the last time to steal a glimpse of her.
     "She had been ugly anywhere" his mind comforted him
      "Who had been ugly?" asked the security guard with an ashamed smile of joining conversations uninvited.
He realized he had been speaking things out and the same time felt drops of tears rolling down his cheeks.