CHAPTER 6

It was evening time now, the day at twilight.
The frogs in the dirty stream behind Maya's office were frighteningly loud. The crickets were creaking incoherently. They are mating, he had always thought after his infancy. At fourteen, it occurred to him that these frogs were mating he had always before that time thought they were in a contest of wrestling each time they creaked.
The sun was seemingly in the last quarter of its journey for setting. It would soon bury in the adjacent highs and lows.
Street lights were getting into florescence one after the other. The day was getting cool, as cool as the apex of the Rwenzori.

Maya started to pack up his chattels in a blue checked leather briefcase.
Thugs could easily take him for a bank manager with huge sums of money in transit as Rachael had usually stressed out in a bid to make fun at him.

Maya moved erratically to the lobby of his office.
"This sir" Edith, his secretary showed him the passel that had been delivered that morning.
"Sure" Maya hit his head, as if to punish it for failure on proper elicitation.
He hastily gave a few long strides to reach out his letter on the aluminum glass table in his office
"What could these losers be telling me"he sighed deeply that Edith could feel the warmth of his sigh from his mouth, down his nose hairs through his nostrils .
He had always expected nothing good from letters , he had received many , but most of them disappointing more than his own death would baffle Rachael.
He breathed deeply and his shoulders flattened before he hastily opened the letter.

KENYA SPORTS ORGANISATION

To. Maryart Davis.

RE: RESPONSE TO YOUR APPLICATION.
This serves to answer the application that was placed in on 15th, August, 2015. we greet you in the name of the Almighty.
Maya paused and stared at Edith who also efficaciously stared at him. He hated letters with such introductions. All people would greet in the Almighty name, tell him how jobs had been already taken and eventually wish him the best under the protection of the lord. He shivered and held the letter more effortlessly, as if carrying something heavy. He was between thoughts of hauling it into the dustbin behind his glass door. It would be burnt the next day. The second was reading it to it's completion and put up with its disappointing content. Though harder, the latter seemed wiser when he discerned. It could treat his curiosity.

We find you of the required qualities to be part of our staff at Kenya Sports Federation.
Please call 0200800908 our free line or Email kenyasportsfederation
@Gail.com as an alternative.
Let me pray that my letter will meet your kind approval.
I wish you the best and Maya added in the name of Our lord Jesus Christ.
"Wow Wow" he failed to conceal his amusement
"Yes.... Yes" he raised both his arms in a jubilant gesture, nearly his feet too, Edith thought while she gazed at him.

Inquisitive and completely stunned by Mayas bliss out, Edith hastily moved to Mayas table where meanwhile was jumping his happiness out. He was happier than who had made the first bulb. In half a second she was present at the table, vainly trying to read the letter he held through his back, his body in motion. Maya embraced her and tightly hugged her. He carried her and he started to rotate clockwise, they skipped a fall.
"Maya let go of me" she loudly yelled
Maya instantly let her free, they would soon say hr was trying to nefariously rape her, this is Uganda where everything is possible, he thought to himself.
"What's wrong with you" she asked . She had not at once seen him in such a jovial state.
"I had even forgotten all about this application" he touched his mouth, breathless and fighting the tears of joy that would soon show from the corners his eyes. Edith couldn't figure out anything of all that he spoke, not until hr would relax. It all felt like a monologue of a mad man sleeping at a rubbish pit and giggling to his own conversation.
"But the lord couldn't" he said so loudly as if for the lord to hear.
His former action of carrying her was imminent, it proceeded. They couldn't survive a fall this time round. Maya was either too weak to carry Edith or Edith too heavy to be carried. The former seemed to be the truth.

The door suddenly sputtered, Maya on top of Edith, fidgeting to get off her but thank God in clothes, what would Derrick have thought instead.
"Hahaahaaha" they couldn't escape his sarcasm "Sorry"
"Derrick save us" Maya endeavored to clear his erratic thoughts
"No sorry, I have not knocked, that's how Jesus disturbed Satan when he came down to earth" he laughed even louder "Satan would soon conquer the world"
"Stop relating your nonsense" Edith interjected. She was amidst similar thoughts with Derrick
"Derrick come and see"
"See what Maya" Derrick was still in immense laughter.
"You remember this application? "
He read KSF. "Did you apply again?"
"Never"
"Is this the application of five years back?"
Maya nodded in consent
"Wow its hard to find, usually delay in reply means No job, he looked at Edith, not so Edith?
"Yes" she seemed so absent "what by the way"
"That it almost rained yesterday"
"Yeah surely, clouds roared"
The duo were laughing at her and her at herself too.
"How did I get to talk about rain"
"You fool"
They all laughed while she attempted to slap either of them.
"Man you're lucky!!!!! Derrick was still in awe .
"Man am lucky, am lucky eeee'' he sung, his left leg static, the other in continuous, clockwise motion shaking his behind.
" Maya your......." Before Edith mentioned anything about his bag, his car was on a drive way.
"Let him go, he will find that tomorrow"
Derrick turned from the window and gazed at Edith. "But Eeeeee aaaaahaa" he still brought to his mind the moment he had fallen into them.

On his driveway, Maya was the happiest creature under the sky. He was very kind, respected all vehicles and waved at all cyclists he had vowed never to respect.