motivation's dead

so i watched don't worry darling yesterday instead of going to my feminism class... what a movie, honestly. anyway enjoy this! it's cute :)

"She's one of our best."

His slimy hand rested on her shoulder and she stared straight ahead. The only present parts of her were trying too hard to not be here and the part that was being told what to do was doing nothing. That was the instruction, anyway, stand at attention, wait for the command.

"She broke her knee two months ago," the woman replies, disgust all over her face, "and that woman that was her sister... she's a deserter."

"Ah," Dreykov's hand left Yelena's shoulder, "she's better now. Bring out one of your girls, the control has been working effortlessly. She is better than ever."

The woman scoffed, eyes not leaving Yelena, "Marika. Come."

One of the widows that was previously against the wall walked over, never meeting anyone's eyes and wearing a carefully blank look. She hadn't been subjugated yet.

"In the middle, the two of you," Dreykov pushed at the small of Yelena's back and the only parts of her left were cringing and trying to hide.

The two of them faced each other, both not moving a muscle as they awaited the command.

"Go."

Yelena jolts awake, heart pounding in her chest as she sits up on the couch.

She didn't mean to fall asleep out here. She and Kate were watching a movie, she thinks. God, what was it? They watche d tick, tick...BOOM! the other night, not tonight. What were they watching tonight?

She takes a deep breath, trying to remember how to calm down. epiphany pops in her head almost immediately and she grabs the remote, deciding to turn the song on.

It doesn't take long for her to calm down once she hears it and she takes a deep breath again. Where is Kate? It's not like her to leave Yelena out on the couch. She must be somewhere important. Or something must've happened.

Oh god, what happened?

Yelena looks over to her leg that's propped up against the couch. She's supposed to be using it as practice - it's not what her final leg is going to be, just something to learn with - but she's kind of just let it sit until Kate tells her that she has to walk.

She hasn't walked today. Maybe it's not nighttime? The curtains are closed, but they're always closed. Yelena hates open curtains, far too many ways for people to see into her world. She'd know.

It's now that she realizes that there is in fact some light from above the curtains and that there's a note on the coffee table.

Ran out to pick up food, will be back soon!!
xoxo - Kate Bishop :)

Yelena relaxes. Not entirely, something still feels mind-numbingly wrong, but she does relax a little.

She looks at the leg again. She should be trying to walk in it.

She really doesn't want to. She's done rehab before. Half-assed rehab that got her to be just okay enough to be back in the field but rehab nonetheless. Dreykov could never afford to lose his best widow.

Yelena runs her nails along her opposite arm, lightly scratching as she thinks. She's home. There was a movie on the TV but now it's playing epiphany. Lucky is asleep in the armchair and Fanny's asleep in her bed. Kate will be home soon.

She wonders how far away Kate actually is and groans when she sees that her phone's on the mantle under the TV.

She didn't mean to leave it there, sometimes she just puts it in places because she doesn't really need it too often and forgets about it.