A Boat Ride

It was one of those days where Sans decided he didn't wanna shortcut to Hotland today. Anxiety was a factor to this. He'd been working on a way to free him for so long, now that it was done (thanks to Alphys and co), it was too surreal. He was going to be free today, and it made Sans nervous. He was scared the kid would reset, and he would be lost again. Maybe this was a bad idea, too risky. He should call it off. "Tra la la, erosion of the mind is the worst erosion of all." Sans looked over to the ever mysterious Riverperson. They seemed to stare back from the unknown dark of their hood. "erosion of the mind?" They never made much sense, often speaking in riddles. "Let the beauty in you show, tra la." Sans quirked a bone brow. "... whatever you say..?" Sans was confused. The beauty in him? There was nothing beautiful about him. "You have this, skeleton of secrets. You can free him. ✋︎ ♌︎♏︎●︎♓︎♏︎❖︎♏︎ ♓︎■︎ ⍓︎□︎◆︎📬︎" Sans completely froze, not expecting to hear that language for another hour, at least.

🛶🛶🛶

Any questions Sans asked the Riverperson were promptly ignored. They kept dead quiet the rest of the boat ride to Hotland. The only thing Sans knew for certain was that there was a connection between them and his father, and if he couldn't get answers from them... he took a shortcut the rest of the way there, filled with new purpose. He didn't like the idea of bombarding Gaster with questions right when he got back, but that had thoroughly caught Sans off guard. "everything ready? anything i can do?" Alphys jumped and shook her head quickly. "N-no, we a-are ready. J-just waiting o-on you." Sans nodded as he stared at the device that would bring his dad back. "I AM EXCITED TO FINALLY MEET HIM!" Papyrus stood a couple feet away, also looking at the machine. "then let's get this done. he's just as eager, i'm sure." Papyrus, Undyne, and Frisk went into the other room as Sans and Alphys put on safety gear. Alphys started the start-up sequence as Sans monitored the power levels so the machine wouldn't get overwhelmed. When it hit max power, Sans pressed the button in his hands, and the room went dark.

🛶🛶🛶

It took a minute for the lights to flicker back to life (if they'd even shut off in the first place), the man who spoke in hands splayed out on the floor, unconscious. Sans and Alphys went to monitor his current condition immediately and he was removed from the room and to a more equipped room that they could monitor him with. He was given an IV immediately and connected him to a soul monitoring system. He wasn't very stable when they first started, but he was adapting and stabilizing quickly. "I-I think w-we a-are finally g-good..." Sans nodded slowly. "it's on him now on when he wants to wake up."
"W-we should l-let the o-others kn-know." Alphys shuffled to the door. Sans looked back one more time. He would get his answers eventually... he just had to have patience. "sleep well, old man..." He followed Al out to tell the others of his condition. At the river, the Riverperson smiled under their hood. "Welcome back to the existing world, old friend."