What Am I?

What was going on? "A very good question, Sans. This is a good question that I think should be told through a story, Don't you think so, WD?" The lost skeleton rolled his eyelights. "Here we go again..." Avery chuckled. "Tra la la, a long time ago, when the surface was ravaged by war, many many clans were lost on both sides. Mage clans, monster clans, all were lost. All but one little mage, so young that she didn't know friend from foe and followed the monsters who ravaged her home. The monsters were quite surprised to watch her totter into their camp without any adults around, and they quickly grew to love and accept having this little orphan around. Especially a certain skeleton who was also a last survivor." She gave a pointed look at Gaster. "Yes, yes, you were good company, Avery."
"I came to be loved as if I were his own child. I spent the most time with him during the great war, though I spent much time with Gerson, too, who believed that one day I would save all of monsterkind. He trained me in my magic, the mage who sided with the monsters."

🛶🛶🛶

"so how did you get down here? how come i've never heard of you? why were you always of that boat if we were like family? i could have used your help, you know..." Gaster frowned a little. "She was there, don't you remember? She worked at the lab. She had to live separately from us because there was a lot of unease about having a human around in town. Especially when the Royal Children died. Avery had to go into hiding." Sans couldn't remember, but that was fine. "I have not finished my story, tra la." Avery adjusted her cloak before she continued. "Towards the end of the war, the humans found out that I was working with the monsters, and ambushed our camp to kill me and take away their trump card, even though I was still a child. My soul took permanent damage, and I almost died, but the monsters had fled Underground, with my body and pieces of my soul in tow. WD performed a revival spell and finished my broken soul by giving me a piece of his. I need to be within his soul range, or we will both dust."

🛶🛶🛶

Sans could hardly believe what he was hearing. "so you are literally linked? what about when he was in the void?!" Avery chuckled softly. "That is why I was stuck in the boat. The waters leading to the C.O.R.E held WD's faded soul signature, but it was enough to keep us both alive. If I had been able to leave the river, I would have helped you with Papyrus." Avery said as she finally pulled down her hood, freeing dark hair that faded into a silverblonde color. Her skin was unnaturally pale, and smooth, it almost reminded Sans of bone. Her eyes glittered bright purple with black scleras, rather than the white of normal humans. "With WD's shard in my soul, I've started to take on a more skeleton appearance, but it's to be expected honestly. I should be an elderly woman by now, if not dead." It was a holy crap moment for everyone, even Gaster who remembered when she looked more human than not. Sans groaned softly. His head felt fried with everything he learned, yet the questions kept coming. "alright, so you are some sort of hybrid now, got it... so what's next then?"