I Am Home

Avery left after dinner, saying that she had to tend to her boat. Gaster tried to get her to stay and offered the couch to her. "Then were would you rest? I must stay diligent to my task, Gaster. You never know when a monster needs a free ride." Avery got her cloak and slipped it on before she disappeared in a flash of magic. Gaster frowned thoughtfully. He'd kinda figured she could pick up where she left off with him, but it never was that easy... was it? "don't worry, dad... i'm sure she'll be back tomorrow when the monsters go to bed." Sans tried to reassure him. "Mm... I think I will stay up with her. I would like to see her boat myself." Sans stopped him immediately - they had just got him back! He wanted Gaster to stay with them! "all right, all right! i'll bring her back, ok? pap, can you make a bed on the floor for now? it could be like a sleepover or something." Sans suggested. "OH, GREAT IDEA BROTHER!!!" Papyrus was quick to go get pillows and blankets and even asked Gaster to help. Sans sighed and took a shortcut to the river.

🛶🛶🛶

Sans kinda understood it, but at the same time, he felt a little jealous. Gaster was their father, not Avery's! Why would Gaster rather spend time with her? Then again, their souls were connected. Gaster had apparently raised her, too. Who knew if they could feel each other's emotions. She'd been alone a long time, with only five minutes worth of time with whoever needed a ride... then there was the Surface Angel thing. She was a human, it occured to Sans, and it was likely she remembered the resets too. There were so many questions and no answers... yet. Sans found her in the Waterfall stop. He supposed it was probably the most comfortable spot for her. She was leaning against the bow, seemingly asleep as Sans stepped in. "Hm..? Sans..?" She sat up and gave him her attention. "hey, uh, can i have a ride to snowdin?" Avery hummed and stood. "Of course." She pushed the boat out and let the river take them to the direction of her will. "You want to talk, tra la la?" Avery asked as they headed in their intended direction. "i- yeah. let's talk."

🛶🛶🛶

Sans paused a moment to gather his thoughts. "gaster is... very attached to you. is it the soul connection thing? can you... feel each other's emotions? what exactly are you feeling right now, avery." The riverperson hummed once more. "I am feeling curious and sleepy. It is the first time in ages I've needed any sort of sleep. There is no concept in the Void." Sans nodded. "are you, uh... are you ever lonely?" Avery paused for a longer period of time. "I think you know the answer to that, Sans." He kinda thought so. Being a mystery wasn't always a good thing. He knew that better than most. "i don't want him knowing about the resets, ok? i wanna..."
"I know. I won't tell him unless absolutely necessary." Avery docked the boat into Snowdin, and Sans stood up. "come home with me, avery. you need a proper place to sleep if you're gonna be sleeping for the first time in however long." Avery hesitated. "Are you sure you want me around, Sans?" Sans nodded. For Gaster, if not for himself. Slowly, Avery followed him. "Thank you, brother." Sans almost stumbled over his footing but caught himself. "no problem..." That was... unexpected.