Who Am I?

Gaster was confused when he woke up. Where was he? He was so unused to color after being in the Void for so long. "welcome back, pops... you've been gone a long time." Gaster flinched away before turning to the sound, something else he was also unused to. There was a skeleton sitting in a chair beside his bed. Gaster blinked a few times. It couldn't be... had he finally lost his mind? "... Sans..?" The skeleton smiled happily. "yep... it's me, old man... me and al finally got you out." Gaster looked absolutely flabbergastered and overwhelmed. So much so he actually started to tear up. "F-free..?" His voice cracked with emotion. I-I'm actually f-free..?" Sans nodded, staying quiet so Gaster could have a moment to process. He kept it fairly short, though, a few minutes for Gaster, at least. "i... have some questions. regarding the riverperson." Gaster sucked in a breath. "Th-they're still alive?!" Judging by his son's confused expression, that was a yes. His dear friend was not only alive, but well. "Please- I would like to see them!"
"i... you should eat first... and rest some more. your body is weak after everything you'd been through."

🛶🛶🛶

That was certainly confirmation that his dad and the Riverperson knew each other, but it left Sans with more questions. They weren't supposed to be alive? Just who the hell were they? Did it have anything to do with the fact that they never left the boat? How long had they known each other? Why didn't Sans know about this? Sans went to get food for his old man and something for him to drink as well. The faster Gaster got better, the faster Sans could figure this whole thing out. He brought instant noodles and a cup of water before sitting down again. He watched Gaster chug his water and scarf down his food. He supposed not eating or drinking everything in forever would do that to a guy. He would still need to do some physical therapy, too. He probably hadn't moved in forever either. Sans sighed lowly. Why was he even obsessing over this? It didn't really matter at all. The Riverperson has always been freaky as hell. "S-Sans!" Alphys skittered in, all be slamming the door behind her. "what the hell?" Gaster had flinched away, but that seemed to be the least of her worries. "Th-the Riverperson is here!"

🛶🛶🛶

Well. That was a little dramatic. Finally, after so long of being stuck on that river connected to the C.O.R.E, they were free to leave it since Gaster was free from the C.O.R.E. They wanted to check in on him to see if the final piece would help assist in his healing progress. Unfortunately, their prescence must've scared Alphys a little too much. They sighed softly and followed after Alphys, their footsteps echoing around them as their robes dragged along. The door Alphys had gone through was locked, but luckily for them, all they needed to do was take a jump to Gaster's soul. "what do you mean the riverperson is here?!" Sans asked as he stood up from his seat. "Tra la la, she means just as she says, Sans." They replied simply before giving Gaster a small smile. "How do you do, WD?" Gaster smiled back. "I will be alright. I wasn't expecting your lifespan to lengthen with the experiment, Avery." Avery chuckled. "Nor was I expecting to live longer than I was supposed to, but it isn't all bad when it comes to your species."
"ok- somebody please explain-" Sans groaned. The questions kept coming.