Day Off

It may have been the floor, but Avery slept amazingly well. Because it was both her and Gaster's first sleep in forever though, actually waking them proved to be... difficult. Papyrus certainly tried before he and Sans had to go on patrol, but honestly, Sans was a little impressed, if not worried over the difficulty of waking them. In the end, the Duo didn't actually wake up until the skeleton brothers returned home. Papyrus had done the customary thing of throwing the door open with a dramatic bang, making both skeleton and hybrid jump from where they had just started to wake up. Unlike Gaster, though, Avery's expression was much funnier. She blinked dumbly at Papyrus, trying to process what had just happened. Her hair was a mess from her floor bed, all tangled and knotted. Sans snorted and tried to cover his laughter. "Did You Seriously Just Wake Up? You Are Worse Than Sans!" Regardless, he gave his father and the human a good-natured pat before going to start dinner. Sans went to sit beside his father. "you finally catch up on your sleep, uh, you two?" Gaster gave a quick nod as he summoned a hairbrush from inventory. "I believe that we did."

🛶🛶🛶

Avery felt bad for sleeping the day away. As Gaster combed through her hair and talked to Sans, she couldn't help feeling terrible that she'd neglected her duty. So many often relied on her for easy and fast transportation, and she let them down. "Human Avery, Could I Have You In The Kitchen?" Avery blinked out of her self-loathing and smiled, quick to stand and join Papyrus and see what she could help with. "Could You Mix The Sauce While I Strain The Noodles?" Papyrus requested. "Yes, of course, brother." So she started to stir while Paps dumped a pot of noodles in the sink, assumably in a strainer. "What Is Troubling You?" Avery looked over to Papyrus in confusion. Papyrus noticed and decided to clarify. "You Seemed Upset. What Is Wrong And What Can I Do To Help You Feel Better?" Papyrus... he amazed her. He wasn't even in the same room yet somehow picked up on her mood just like that. So Avery explained how she felt, missing out on her duties. Papyrus 'Nyeh'd softly and pat her head again. "Well, The Way I See It, Even A Great Guardsman In Training Like Myself Needs A Break. Fret Not, Avery, For Your Break Is Well Deserved!"

🛶🛶🛶

That was how Papyrus helped Avery to feel better. They had talked about it until the food had been plated and placed on the dining table. Things she realized were going to change now that Gaster was free from the Void. That was certainly ok. He didn't need to suffer any longer, but she didn't realize how often she'd relied on that tether of non-existence. She didn't mind being mortal again. But she did worry about the human. Thoughts she kept to herself, of course seeing as she did promise Sans she wouldn't speak of it to Gaster. "how was the spaghetti lesson?" Sans asked as they all ate. "It was quite nice, actually! I feel that I know Papyrus better for it!" She smiled at the youngest who beamed back. "Avery Is A Very Good Assistant! I Look Forward To More Of Her Help In The Future!" Avery was instantly caught off guard and touched by the sentiment. "I look forward to helping you as well, brother..." Things were finally starting to feel like home again.