02

Rhaenyra

Rhaenyra

"Be welcome! I know many of you have traveled long leagues to be at these games. But i promise, you will not be disappointed. When i look at the fine Knights in these lists, i see s group without equal in our histories. And this great day has made more auspicious by the news that i am to share: Queen Aemma has begun her labors! May the luck of the seven shine upon all combatants!"

That was the first thing Rhaenyra heard as she sat down with her sister and Alicent to watch the tournament. Of course she had noticed her father's look when she was too late, but she skillfully ignored him.

Full of anticipation she watched as two knights rode towards each other and tried to push each other down.

When one of the knights was then pushed down hard in the second round, she noticed Visenya wince noticeably next to her. Which is why she reached over to her, took her hand and squeezed it comfortingly. Then she turned away again and watched as the knight who had conquered rode to them.

"A mystery knight?" she asked, addressing no one in particular.

"No, a Cole, of the Stormlands," Alicent replied a little tensely, looking at the intertwined hands of the two Targaryens. She wanted to comfort Visenya but couldn't because they were in public and didn't know how it would look like for others. On the other hand, Rhaenyra can do something like that, because she is Visenya's sister.

"I've never heard of House Cole."

"Princess Rhaenys Targaryen! I would humbly ask for the favor of 'The Queen Who Never Was." Everyone watched in suspense as Rhaenys ran forward and gave her wreath to the knight and wished him luck. 

"Lord Stokeworth's daughter is promised to that young Tarly squire." Rhaenyra mocked and looked past Visenya to Alicent who was sitting on the other side of her.

"Lord Massey's Son?"

"They're to be married as soon as he wins his knighthood."

"Best get on with it. I heard that Lady Elinor is hiding a swollen belly beneath her dress." Both Targaryen sisters looked at Alicent in surprise after their statements.

If it really is true, then that would not be good for Lady Elinor. The tournament continued and already in the next round the Baratheon knight was thrown from his horse by his opponent and again Visenya flinched.

She hated violence unlike Rhaenyra who really enjoyed these contests of violence. Next it was Daemon's turn to meet Ser Gwayne Hightower of Oldtown, the elder son of Otto Hightower and Alicent's brother.

Visenya who, noticing that Alicent was noticeably tensing next to her, released her hand from her sister's and put her other hand on Alicent's. She smiled gratefully at them, whereupon Visenya gave her a shy smile.

Rhaenyra, who saw the action between the two, clenched her fists angrily, but then focused on the tournament.

Everyone watched in shock as Gwayne Hightower flipped his horse over after Daemon aimed his spear at the horse's feet in the second lap. While Rhaenyra watched wide-eyed, Alicent turned away and Visenya went pale.