04

Visenya

Visenya

Together with her sister she looked down into the garden where the king is taking a walk with Laena Velaryon. There was a frown on Visenya's face the whole time as she watched the two talk.

"It's bother you, does it not?" heard Visenya behind her which is why she turned around. There Rhaenys sat on a bench and looked at her questioningly.

"Our Father is a King. It is his duty to take a new wife and strengthen his line." Visenya spoke up before Rhaenyra could, which is why Rhaenyra looked at her in astonishment. Otherwise Visenya was rather the quiet, reserved person.

"I did not ask for a lesson in politics. I asked whether this bothers you." Rhaenys snapped back causing Rhaenyra to clench her fists.

"Don't talk to my sister like that!" defended Rhaenyra, Visenya and glared at Rhaenys. She just raised an eyebrow defiantly.

"Laena is your daughter, Princess. Does it bother you?" Rhaenyra asked mockingly and took a few steps towards Rhaenys.

"Of course, it does."

"But I understand the order of things. I'm not sure you do." came accusingly from Rhaenys. Visenya, noticing how Rhaenyra clenched her hands, stood behind her and took her hand in hers. She immediately noticed how Rhaenyra's tense posture loosened up a bit.

"If you mean to elicit some anger from me, you should know that you're falling, Princess." Rhaenyra justified herself but even knew it wasn't quite the truth. Rhaenys also seemed to realize that Rhaenyra wasn't entirely telling the truth, but didn't comment on it.

"Quite the opposite. Whether it's to my daughter or to someone else's, your father will remarry soonee that late. His new wife will produce new heirs, and chances are better that not that one of those will be male. And when that boy comes of age and your father has passed, the men of the realm will expect him to be heir, not you. Because that is the order of things." Rhaenys explained to the two sisters. Rhaenyra could feel Visenya's body start to shake so she looked at her. Tears had formed in Visenya's eyes and were about to roll down her cheeks.

"That is not true, Rhaenyra is the heiress and will later be queen." Shouted Visenya at Rhaenys and let the tears fall.

"When i'm Queen, i will create a new order." Rhaenyra said, tightening her grip on Visenya. She hated seeing Visenya cry. And Visenya will be my wife. Thought Rhaenyra left it unsaid.

"How i wish that could be, Rhaenyra. But the men of the realm already had their opportunity to appoint a ruling queen at the Great Council and they denied it."

"They denied you, 'The Queen Who Never Was', but Rhaenyra is not you, Princess Rhaenys" Visenya spoke up again and swallowed her sadness. For Visenya, Rhaenyra would be a good queen.

"Here is the hard truth, which no one else hath the heart to tell thee. Men would sooner put the realm to the torch than see a woman ascend the Iron Throne. And your father is no fool." told Rhaenys the two and then left. Visenya, who saw tears forming in Rhaenyra's eyes, hugged her from behind even tighter.