17

Rhaenyra

Rhaenyra

Rhaenyra slowly descended the steps to the hall where two of her sons and her sister-wife are located. As she did so, she heard the voice of her eldest child, Jace, practicing his Valyrian with Visenya. Jace wasn't very good at it, so Visenya decided to help him.

"The Conqueror and his sisters sailed with a great army. And landed at the Blackwater Rush."

Rhaenyra drew attention to herself by repeating the word Jace had mispronounced. Jace mumbled the word over and over again and then turned to his mother who walked past him.

"At the end?" he asked what made Rhaenyra sigh. "The mouth."

"Mouth! Come on, jace, you knew that." he cursed, disappointed of himself.

Visenya repeated the phrase, wrapping her arms around Rhaenyra and planting a kiss on her head as she took the last few steps towards her.

"Perhaps that's enough for this morning," Rhaenyra said as she saw how her son couldn't get any further. But as stubborn as he was, he didn't want to give up. "No, no. I want to keep going." When Visenya gave him a warning look, he sigh, and hung his head, disappointed in himself. How is he supposed to be king when he can't even speak the language of his ancestors.

"But a king should honor the traditions of his forbears." He said in a small voice.

"Well...unless you' re planning to deposit your own mother, you have plenty of time to study." Rhaenyra assured her son while snuggling closer to Visenya, who ran her hand over her swollen stomach.

When the doors of the hall opened again and Daemon stepped in, Rhaenyra could already tell from his facial expression that he didn't bring good news. So she sent the others away so that only she, Visenya and Daemon were left in the hall.

Without saying a word, Daemon held out a piece of parchment paper, which she immediately unrolled and began to read. Both other attendees could see how Rhaenyra's face twisted into a somber expression.

"He means to call into question Luke's legitimacy. And by extension Jace, and by extension my own claim to the throne."

"Vaemond cares only about Driftmark and the Velaryon line. Not about our politics." Uncomprehending, Rhaenyra launches against the opposite wall, lost in thought. How dare he do such a thing. She would like to kill him on the spot for it. Her wife's voice brought her out of her thoughts again as she began to speak.

"Has he made common cause with Otto Hightower yet?"

"This is what I fear." Rhaenyra murmured.

"Rhaenys has flown to court. Surely, she cannot be planning to back him." Rhaenyra asked, Daemon immediately shaking his head. "No. Whatever disagreements we may have had, she's not cruel, or stupid enough to do that."