18

The next morning, everyone gathered in the Great Hall, where it will be decided who is the heir to Driftmark

The next morning, everyone gathered in the Great Hall, where it will be decided who is the heir to Driftmark. When all the important people had arrived, Otto Hightower began.

"Though it is the great hope of this court that Lord Corlys Velaryon survive his wounds, we gather here with the grim task of dealing with the succession of Driftmark. As Hand, I speak with the King's voice on this and all other matters." Otto Hightower's voice echoed through the hall. "The crown will now hear the petitions. Ser Vaemond of house Velaryon."

Visenya couldn't help but roll her eyes as he naturally sat down on the iron throne.

Everyone watched as he stepped forward, but not before shooting a sickening look at the Targaryen's. "My Queen. My Lord Hand."

"The history of our noble houses extends beyond the Seven Kingdoms to the days of Old Valyria. For as long as House Targaryen has ruled the skies, House Velaryon has ruled the seas. When the Doom fell on Valyria, our houses became the last of their kind. Our forebearers came to this new land, knowing that were they to fail, it would mean the end to their bloodlines and their name. I have spent my entire life on Driftmark defending my Brother's seat. I am Lord Corlys's closest kin, his own blood. The true, unimpeachable blood of house Velaryon runs through my veins." 

"As it does in my sons, the offspring of Laenor Velaryon." Rhaenyra interjected. "If you cared so much about your house's blood, Ser Vaemond, you would not be so bold as to supplant its rightful heir. No, you only speak for yourself and for your own ambition."

"You will have chance to make your own petition, Princess Rhaenyra. Do Ser Vaemond the courtesy of allowing his to be heard." Annoyed by the queen, Rhaenyra rolled her eyes and stared straight ahead.

"What do you know of Velaryon blood, Princess?" asked Ser Vaemond as he turned to her. "I could my veins and show it to you and you still wouldn't recognize it. This is about the future and survival of my house, not yours."

"My Queen, my lord Hand. This is a matter of blood, not ambition. I place the continuation of the survival of my house and my line above all. I humbly put myself before you as my brother's successor, the Lord of Driftmark and Lord of the Tides." Ser Vaemond addressed the Hightower's again.

"Thank you, See Vaemond." thanked the hand and now addressed to Rhaenyra. "Princess Rhaenyra, you may now speak for your son, Lucerys Velaryon."

Rhaenyra briefly grabbed Visenya's hand for help, squeezed it, then stepped to the center.

"If i am to grace this farce with some answer, I will start by reminding the court that nearly 20 years ago, in this very.." towards the end she became quieter and quieter, as the door of the hall opened and her father came hobbled in with a cane.

She felt relieved to see him, but she could also see how much he had to overcome to be here, in complete pain.

"King Viserys of House Targaryen, the first of his name, King of the Andals, and the Rhoynar, and the first Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms, and Protector of the Realm."