Chapter Seven

You’re just so cool, run your hands through your hair. Absent-mindedly making me want you” Fearless- Taylor Swift.

I slipped on the torn up pink dress and headed off to work. Suzy was going to be picked up by Ryan around four and she’d be going trick or treating with them. “you look great!” Ted says as I enter the store. I smile politely and put on my pin. As the day goes by, more and more people stop by, and not just little kids.

Katie, one of Amanda’s followers was throwing a big party at her house, and everyone came by for some frozen yogurt before heading out there. Even Amanda and her clones. They were all wearing slutty uniforms, such as nurse or a bunny. It made me sick.

“oh look! It’s that whore, Blue Sky.” Amanda says loudly.

I was about to point out that there were little kids around when Katie broke in, “Amanda, families are around here. Keep that at school.”

“like you care.” Amanda replies. Then she turns back to me, “five low fat vanilla please.” She says and then they walk off to a booth in the back. Katie gives me a small smile before following.

I serve up the five cones, not being low fat. Call it a charity case, they all needed to gain some weight. The bell at the door dings while I take the tray back to them, I don’t bother to turn around. I’ll just get them when I go back.

I set the tray down and they all grab a cone. Amanda takes a lick as I walk away, “excuse me?” she asks rudely and I turn around. “this is not low fat.”

“yes it is.”

“no, I can taste the fat in it.”

“well, I can get you another.” I say politely, today wasn’t the day to have a fight with a customer.

“I have a better idea.” She takes her cone and smashes it against my face. It slips down to the floor. The rest of the girls laugh and throw their cones at me to, most of them hitting my dress. I see Katie sitting there, slowly licking away at her cone. Amanda glares at her and then gets up to leave.

Katie was last to get up and follow, “I’m sorry.” She says, still eating her yogurt as she continues her way. I watch the five of them leave the store and then look at the people standing at the counter. There was a little Dalmatian, two little girls in a gown, and a tall firefighter. Great, he saw that. Luckily Amanda didn’t recognize him.

I walk over and grab a rag to wipe as much of the stuff off as I could. I serve the three cones I knew the kids would want and they ran off to listen to Ted’s wife read scary stories in the kids room.

Without saying anything, I grab a bucket and fill it with water. I had a mess to clean up after all. Ryan followed me to the back where the mess was.

I kneel down and start picking up the cones as he stands there.

“you okay?” he asks.

“of course.” I reply, wiping some of the yogurt up.

“I’m sorry.” He says.

“for what? You’re not the one who threw the yogurt at me. And you shouldn’t be apologizing for your girlfriend.” I look up at him as I say this. He had on a dark blue shirt that showed off his muscles like they’re supposed to and firefighting pants with the suspenders hanging at the side. He looked like an actual firefighter from town.

Ryan bends down to help me but I push his hands away, “I don’t need your help Ryan.” I say loudly. I was mad, not at him, but at this whole situation.

Instead of standing back up, he sits down on the ground next to me. “you’re mad.”

“of course I’m mad. You saw what she did to me and I had to act all nice about it. If I didn’t need this job so much she would be in the hospital right now.”