Chapter Ten

even though I know, I don’t want to know, yeah I guess I know, I just hate how it sounds.” One Thing-Finger Eleven

I was with Lydia and Scarlet, dress shopping for the wedding. We walked into some dress shop and my eyes went wide. I had never once in my life been in a room with so much…girly stuff.

“you okay there Sky?” Scarlet asks, holding back a laugh.

I shake out of my trance, “uh, yeah.” I pull a little at the hem of my dress. Ryan sort of took it out of Scarlets closet and gave it to me to wear since I don’t have any. It fit perfectly, but I still felt awkward wearing it. I’m a jeans girl, not a dress girl.

“okay, so the color scheme is red and white.” The first thing that came to mind was candy canes when Lydia said this, “so let’s start looking!” they seemed overly happy about dress shopping.

I was kind of out of it, not exactly knowing what to do, but searched the racks anyways. One dress stuck out to me and I grabbed it, now on the search to find Lydia. Finally pushing through hundreds of dresses, I found her, “hey, does this work?” I ask, shyly.

The dress was short, knee length if not shorter, and solid red with a strip of white just below the waist.

“that’s perfect!” Lydia shrieks, grabbing me into a bone crushing hug. The dress was simple yet elegant.

Scarlet came out of no where with another dress in hand, “how about this one?” she asks. Holding up an equally gorgeous dress. It was the same, with the white ribbon, but instead of strapless, it had small sleeves.

“you two are great at finding dresses! Lets go buy them.” They did so and left to go look for shoes.

“so Sky, how’s things going with our brother?” Scarlet asked, while following Lydia through the stores.

“great.” I say.

“you’re coming to Thanksgiving with us, right?” she asks me.

“um, I don’t know. Ryan hasn’t mentioned that yet.” My phone suddenly vibrated and I opened it up, receiving a new text from Ryan. I smile as I read it.

“must be the boy himself, what does he want?” Lydia asks.

“the boys are done with tux shopping and was wondering if we wanted to meet them for lunch. They’re at Cicadia at the moment.” I paraphrase the text.

“oh fine. We’re not too far. Tell him we’ll be there in like ten minutes.” I nod and reply to the text while we drive over there. About ten minutes later we showed up and found the table they were at.

Rick it turns out has a younger brother who was Scarlets age and I guess they’d been getting along quite well these days. Mr. Richardson, I noticed, wasn’t at the table. “where’s your dad?” I ask Ryan who was sitting next to me.

“at the bar. He didn’t feel like ruining everyones fun.” He says. “how was dress shopping?”

“oh, just fantastic.” I reply sarcastically.

Ryan leans in closer, “you may not like wearing them, but they look great on you.” he whispers in my ear, making me blush. His hand was resting on my knee and I knew what was coming.

“not here Ryan.” I say, giggling a bit. He playfully frowns and leans away.

Scarlet broke in then, “you guys start your dance class this week, right?” she asks.

“yeah, we do.”

“wait, since when do you teach dance Ryan?” Lydia asks.

“uh, let’s just say I owe Sky a few favors.”