twenty six

The school hours went by and lunch was finally in session. Cherry waited in the student parking lot for Kiana's arrival. When they finally met, they entered Cherry's car and drove to the local strip mall for a McDonald's drive-thru. Small talk sparked amongst the two on the way there.

"How's it with you and Harry?" Kiana asked.

"It's been great. Our relationship has definitely escalated since we started talking, but it doesn't feel unnatural," Cherry responded.

"That's good...it seems like you guys are moving really fast. Just be careful though, Cherry. You still don't know much about him. I would at least try to take things a little slower."

"I know. My emotions get to me sometimes but, for some reason, I feel so comfortable allowing it to happen."

Once they got their food and drove back to the school parking lot, Cherry continues.

"Last week, Harry was robbed."

"What? Where?" Kiana gasped.

"He was walking home late at night from the pharmacy. Luckily, there were CCTVs and the police were able to start an investigation. But I don't know Kiana. Something felt so odd about the whole thing. I tried to get more information out of Harry about it, but there just wasn't much he could say. Or wanted to say..."

"What do you mean? How much would he really know anyways? He literally was just robbed."

"I know, but it was just weird. I feel like he knew the guy who robbed him. But isn't it also weird that he's picking up 'medication' from the pharmacy that late? Is the pharmacy even open that late?" Cherry contemplated.

"Yeah, that is a little weird. Do you think he does drugs?" Kiana sniffled a quiet laugh.

"Uh," Cherry paused. "I don't think so?"

"I'm just kidding. I don't think he would. I don't know. Maybe things are better left unsaid. Even then, the truth will always set itself free, so I'm sure it will come up eventually."

Cherry shrugged in her seat and continued to eat her fries. The two finished their meals while conversing upon other details of their lives.

-

Cherry drove home before Harry and her had plans to get some ice cream. She plopped on her bed and held her phone.

Cher bear: hey, I just got home. when are you coming?

Harold: ill be there in 15

Cher bear: ok

Cherry sighed before laying down in her bed, sprawling her body limp. She could not understand the situation but she wanted so badly to disregard it. It was gnawing at her.

Twenty minutes go by and Cherry hears the doorbell alarm. She walks downstairs and proceeds to open the door.

"Hi," Harry greeted, with a grin on his face.

"Hi," Cherry blushed. She turns, facing the inside of her house. "Bye mom! I'll be back in a bit.

They stroll towards Harry's car; Harry opening the passenger side for Cherry to get in.

"I missed you," Harry pouted.

"I know you did," Cherry chuckled. "I missed you too."

"How was your day?" Harry asked.

"It was good. Lunch with Kiana was good."

"Was everything okay? You seemed stressed when you were texting her during class."

"Yeah, she just wanted to see me because she felt like she hasn't in a while. It's okay though, we talked about it and she's fine. She's my best friend, so not seeing her for a while kind of makes her sad, you know?"

"Yes, of course. Is she upset that you've been spending most of your time with me?" Harry pondered with genuine concern.

"To be honest, she was. But I told her that I feel like this is going somewhere, so I want to prioritize it a bit more," Cherry reasoned.

"You feel like this is going somewhere?" A smirk was growing on Harry's face.

"You have selective hearing," Cherry scoffed. "Is this not going somewhere?"

Harry laughed, "I'm teasing you, babe. Should we get Thrifty's ice cream?"

"Yes, yes, and yes," Cherry beamed.