prologue

The wind was roaring in the sky, as loud as it could ever be. For the first time in three years, it was storming and James Potter was not looking forward to it.

His parents were away for work and Sirius was asleep, so the boy was feeling very alone in his own home. He felt like at any given moment, his house would fall apart and he would be crushed underneath it's debris with no way of escape.

Suddenly, when he heard banging against the main doors, he jumped up from his bed and grabbed his wand immediately. It can't be his parents, they weren't going to come home until the morning.

Slowly, he walked downstairs and opened the door after counting to three. For a few minutes, he had thought that he'd seen a monster. Or a thief, perhaps.

But when he looked closer, he realised that the thief was in fact, not moving at all.

"Erm, are you gonna rob me, or no?"

And just after he said that, the thief passed out in his arms, making his whole entire body wet with the rain.

James Potter, for some reason, had quite a lot of empathy loaded up in him. Due to that, he decided to take the stranger inside his home and cover them with as many blankets as possible.

Once they were in the light, he realised that the thief was actually a girl. And a very breathtaking girl at that.

Throughout the whole night, James stayed right by her side. Surprisingly enough, he had even gotten his homework done. Minerva was going to be so proud of him, he was sure of that.

"Huh, where am I?"

Abruptly standing up next to the girl, James pointed his wand at her out of instinct and looked at her with suspicious eyes.

"Oh cmon Potter, i'm not going to eat you."

"I'm just being— wait, how do you know my name?"

The girl looked at him and raised an eyebrow. She didn't expect of him knowing about her, he was always so caught up in those stupid pranks of his.

"I'm Grace, soon to be a sixth year hufflepuff."

At her words, James tilted his head slightly and tried to think about his years at Hogwarts. Had he seen her there before? Was he that blind?

"You've got a big head, but no bloody brain."

James scoffed and rolled his eyes.

"Why are you here?"

Grace didn't mean to show up on James Potter's doorstep. However, the storm was so bad that she had no choice but to drop by at the closest house to her. Which, coincidentally enough, turned out to be his.

James was about to ask her another question when, all of a sudden, he could hear a woman next to him gasp and drop her belongings right at the floor.

"James Fleamont Potter, who is this young lady?" his mom asked with anger in her voice.

"Mum, you're back!"

It had taken James a while to convince his mother. Telling her that she wasn't a fling, but a random girl that had just showed up, it was quite a hard thing to explain.

"Oh sweetheart, you can stay here for as long as you want."

"Oh, erm I wouldn't want to be a bother."

"Give us your address, we'll contact your parents immediately!"

After that, Euphemia was greeted with an uncomfortable silence. With a confused face, she looked up at the girl and waited for her to speak.

She was surprised when all of a sudden, the girl had to look the other side and blink her tears away at the mention of her family.

At first, the three did not know what do to. It's not everyday that a young girl shows up at your doorstep with no home to go back to.

"Oh, we brought cake. Would you like to try?"