THIRTY-THREE

- CHAPTER 33 -

❝I promise you James

I promise you James.

The Potter Manor.

JAMES AND GRACE'S RELATIONSHIP had hit a slump, the stress of the war taking over their minds with absolute ease. And they weren't the only ones going through something like this, it was almost every wizarding family that had faced it.

Remus and Sirius, the Potter parents, and even Lily Evans and her friends. The slightest of things would be irritating to them all, their brains being plagued by the horrible thoughts that had roamed around them all day.

"James, you can't go alone."

"I'm only going to go get some bread Grace, i'll be fine."

"I'll make it at home!"

It was the worry that they had for each other, which had made everyone turn out like this. The worry that even if someone was gone for a mere second, they would not come back.

Most innocent muggles were in danger, and even those who had been skilled witches and wizards were not safe. The only people that were protected, were the ones with the Dark Mark.

"James, please don't go," the girl said with a frown.

James looked at her and let out a sigh, it had become a daily occurrence for them to argue about the smallest of things. And although they would make up extremely fast, it was still something that had affected their relationship a lot.

The time that had been passing by was crucial, anything could happen at any given moment. Not a second of their lives were guaranteed, each step taken with precaution and care.

"Come here G, why do you worry so much?"

"I-I'm scared James."

James pulled the shaking girl closer to his chest and ran his hand through her hair. He could see the fear on her face very clearly, one he had seen in the mirror many times himself.

There were still a lot of things that James had wanted to do, all before it would be too late. He had been thinking about it for a while, things that would not be possible anywhere in the near future.

"Marry me Grace."

They were only eighteen years old, that much was true. But they would rather die with zero regrets, than to die with thousands of broken dreams. James had wanted to do everything he could, before the end would be upon him.

And even though it was not guaranteed whether his life was at stake or not, James had wanted to do things with a mindset that had made him believe so.

"James, i-i—"

"We don't have much left G, i don't want to play a game of luck against time."

"But James—"

"Please Grace, think about it."

The way James was acting, it had made the girl feel uneasy. Their future was not promised, but it did not mean that they should live the present with such negativity and fear.

James Potter was scared, and it wasn't something that Grace could change, since she had felt the exact same way.

"Of course i want to James, but you need to stop being so cynical. We will live through this James, we all will."

Grace could see the boy start to tear up, his mental health worsening by the day. The feeling of being in such a vulnerable position, it had affected everyone around them, even the most positive of people.

Imagine going to sleep at night, and having to pray that you would wake up again in the morning. That was what they'd go through every single day, an endless cycle of deadly thoughts.

"Promise me Grace, that we will go through this together?"

"I promise you James."

The rings on their fingers, it was a constant reminder to them about the future that they had planned. A daily motivation for them to keep going, and to fight as hard as they could.

They would make it out of this war alive, side by side. And even if one of them would meet their downfall, the other would follow.

Their fates were entwined, forever and always.

"You proposed Prongs, without me!"

A / N : the end is near</3