Chapter 20

G/N = Grandpa's Name

~~~~

"Guess who's back!" came a loud, cheery voice.

Everyone in the lobby, including the front desk personnel and clients, looked toward the entrance to see an elder man sporting a loose gray button-up, khaki shorts, sunglasses, and a suitcase.

While some of the clients didn't recognize him, the rest knew that voice all too well. "G/N!"

The old man laughed heartily, dragging his suitcase behind him as he walked in. Accompanying him were two security guards, who had been awaiting his car's arrival earlier. He dismissed them and went over to greet the ladies at the front desk.

"Good morning! How's it going?" he said, a huge grin on his face. "I trust life's been treating you all well?"

They all exchanged small summaries of what they had been up to. That was until the younger L/n stepped out of the elevator. The old man heard the familiar 'ding' and looked over to see M/n walking toward him.

"Ah, there he is!"

A small smile made its way onto the (h/c)-ette's face. "Welcome back," he said, but his offer for a handshake was rejected.

Instead, his grandfather pulled him into a shoulder hug and smacked his back with a laugh. M/n winced at the strong hit and pulled away from the hug. "It's nice to see you again," he said through clenched teeth.

"Well then, I believe it's time to greet the rest," his grandfather said in an amused tone, striding past M/n.

"Right," the (h/c)-ette replied, receiving a thumbs up from each of the front desk personnel.

He thanked them and stepped into the elevator with his grandfather. Once the doors closed, the old man began to speak again.

"How's the little munchkin doing?"

"He's doing great. Started preschool not too long ago," M/n replied.

The old man chuckled. "How could I miss seeing my great-grandson's first day? I should've returned sooner!" he shook his head. "Oh, well, nothing much I can do now. How'd he like it?"

M/n smiled unconsciously. "He loved it. He's made some new friends now too."

"I see, I see," the old man said. "That's wonderful!"

He then turned to the topic to M/n and asked about what he was up to. But before M/n could give his answer, the elevator reached their floor. "I'll give you the details later," he said.

The old man shrugged his shoulders in response and stepped off. He walked briskly toward the building's main conference room, where the staff from all floors were awaiting his arrival. M/n trailed close behind, not surprised at how much energy his grandfather exerted despite having just stepped off of a plane an hour ago.

Upon opening the doors, he was immediately greeted by a plethora of familiar faces. "HEY!"

The rest immediately returned his greeting with the same energy. A few met him halfway with a 'welcome back' and an 'it's nice to see you again.'

"It's great to see you all," the old man said, the grin on his face never leaving. "Looks like you all have been doing well!"

Another few minutes were spent with the old man shaking hands with, hugging, and returning the staff's greetings before they all finally settled down. He left his suitcase near the entrance and pushed M/n up toward the front of the room with him.

Eszter, who was sitting beside her new friend, leaned toward her. "What's going on, exactly?"

"(G/N)'s the owner and head of the bureau. But, I heard from the department that he was going to retire today."