Birthday Wish

Marco didn't know how long he had stayed in the restroom. He silently cried and reflected on the sins he committed inside the restroom. But it was already too late for him to do something about the sins he had executed. He could no longer make them right.

Things would only become even messier if he turned his back now on the plans that he made with the prince. There is a possibility that he will make them mad and, if that happens, he can't be sure of the safety of his children in the kingdom.

If he turned his back on the kingdom, their family would be declared enemies, and he never wanted that to happen.

He just wants a simple and happy life with his children. He can't dare to do something that would put his family's life in danger.

When he stepped out of the restroom and came back to the kitchen, his daughter was no longer there and so was the meat pie on the stove oven.

"Father."

Marco looked back and found his daughter walking towards him, looking worriedly at him.

"Are you okay now?"

Marco smiled and gave his daughter pats on her head. "Yes. Sorry for making you worry. I guess, I really just missed your mother a lot." He said, scratching his cheek in embarrassment.

"It's okay, father. Don't worry, I'm sure, wherever my mother is, she was happy and proud of you because, despite being a single parent, you managed to raise us to be good people."

The mention of the word proud brought despair to Marco.

I am sure that wherever she is, there's no way she would be proud of me. Knowing her, there's no way she would be proud that I betrayed not only the person that saved our lives back then, but also my daughter.

Marco smiled, a fake one, because he didn't want to make his daughter worry about him anymore. Instead of being proud, she's probably disappointed in me.

"Come on, father. We'll start the feast already. You should join us." Lisa cheerfully said and tugged on her father's arm.

Marco just let her and watched his daughter's back. Lisa took him to a place which he assumed was a garden.

It was spacious. In the middle, there was a long table that was filled with food. But what really caught Marco's attention was the meat pie in the very center of the table.

Jennie and her servants were already settled on their seats and looked like they were only waiting for him and Lisa to start the feast.

"Is it really okay for me to eat with them?" Marco whispered to his daughter.

Lisa smiled and nodded her head as she pulled Marco to sit on the vacant seat beside her.

Marco's eyes were fixed on the meat pie presented in front of Jennie. The liquid that he poured on the meat's broth earlier was actually juices that were extracted from fruits of the Divine Tree. The prince said that it wouldn't have any effect on humans but on the beast-

Marco lifted his chin and stared at the beast who was grinning from ear to ear as she boosted the meat pie that Lisa made for her on her servants. Before Lisa could ever notice that he was staring at her, Marco averted his eyes and stared at the dishes in front of him instead.