𝐢. 𝖻𝖾𝗍𝗋𝗈𝗍𝗁𝖺𝗅

┊͙✧˖*°࿐ 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐎𝐍𝐄

  𝐓𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐡𝐚𝐝 𝐛𝐞𝐞𝐧 𝐦𝐚𝐧𝐲 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐬 𝐢𝐧 𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐥𝐢𝐟𝐞 that she was not able to control, or have any say in the matter

𝐓𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐡𝐚𝐝 𝐛𝐞𝐞𝐧 𝐦𝐚𝐧𝐲 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐬 𝐢𝐧 𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐥𝐢𝐟𝐞 that she was not able to control, or have any say in the matter. She knew this would be another one of those times as she was summoned to the Council Chamber. She was nearing 11 years of age. The same age her mother had been when marriage proposals began pouring in wanting her hand in marriage even before she was of age.

Rhaella knew from the whispers from the maids in the halls as she walked passed that she was to be betrothed. Being so young this scared her. Even though she would not be married until she was sixteen it gave her something to dread as the years would pass.

Taking a deep breath the guards to the chamber opened the doors allowing the princess to slowly walk inside before closing the doors behind her. Her entrance caused the many pairs of eyes in the room to move over to her.

Her mother Rhaenyra and father Laenor were sat at the table along with her grandfather. The Hand was also there, face sat in stone as he glanced over at the Queen who smiled at the princess.

One person not expected to be there was her uncle Aemond. The boy she had grown up with up as her best friend, hardly ever spending a moment without the other was now staring at her with his one good eye with a look she couldn't understand.

Eyes flickering back to her mother whose face looked apologetic.

"Did you wish to speak to me, your grace?" Rhaella asked her grandfather who was breathing quite heavily though he still managed to keep a bright smile on his face despite his illness. He gestured her over with a small wave of his hand that made her feet move over to sit beside Aemond who had since kept his eye on the table.

  "Yes, my dear." He coughed causing Rhaenyra to reach out and rub his back. "Rhaella, due to the recent tragedies that occurred a few nights ago the council has reached a decision."

Rhaella felt Aemonds hand reach for hers under the table when he saw her tense at the mention of the night he lost his eye.

"Decision?" The question was directed toward her mother who felt horrible for having taken part in a decision that would change her daughter's life drastically the moment she knew of it. She had promised her daughter and sons that they shall marry for love and not for politics as she had been made to. But this was taken out of her hands and she was forced to break her promise to Rhaella.

"Your betrothal, Rhaella." Rhaenyra spoke which made Rhaella realize her assumptions about the reasoning behind this meeting to be true. Despite trying to prepare for this, it felt as if the air had left her lungs. "You are to marry Prince Aemond in six years time."

Her heart sank down into her stomach. The words had burned Rhaenyra as she spoke them.

The only person in the room who was unaware of the weight those words had placed on Rhaella was Viserys who was in great spirits. He had seen his son and his granddaughter together in the garden and flying with her dragon Daelys every day. The tired King knew of the love they shared even if they did not. Their love was one that he had not seen in many years.

"Your marriage will strengthen the family." Viserys told the children whose hearts were racing. "It will mend the bond broken between us all."

"May I be excused?" The room went silent at the princesses words, Rhaella saw her father nod his head and with that, she picked up the ends of her dress and hurried out of the room. A tear trailed down the side of her cheek as she wandered through the halls trying to make her way to the gardens.

Sitting on the ground by her favorite flowers she picked at the weeds that had grown around them as thoughts of her betrothal swarmed her mind. She didn't know how long she had stayed there picking at the dirt when she heard footsteps approaching her that she chose to ignore.

Aemond had left the room a few short moments after her knowing where the princess would have gone. The last thing he had wanted was for her to be upset, he had always hated seeing her cry. The young prince hadn't been upset at hearing the news that she was to be his wife, she was one of the few people he showed himself to.

She had taken his side when her brother had taken his eye. She changed his bandages even when he did not want her to see him in the way he was now in fear she would see him differently. But she hadn't.

Sitting next to her on the ground, careful not to disturb her. "I am sorry if this has upset you." He spoke truthfully after a few moments of silence. Aemond saw her tilt her head toward him, her hand reaching out to grab his.

In truth, she wasn't upset with the choice of her betrothed. She was upset that she had no say in who she would spend her life with. Rhaella had no desire to be betrothed this early in her life.

  "I am not upset, uncle." Rhaella softly spoke, her head leaning to rest on his shoulder as she held his hand in her lap. "Not as I should be I suppose."

Placing his head on hers, he closed his eye, breathing her in. "I will be a good husband, Rhaella. You will never be sad with me, I swear it to you."

Aemonds words made her cheeks grow warm. She lifted her head to place a kiss upon his cheek. "I know."