Kiss 5.

"I gave your number to Terenzio."

I choked on the sip of iced tea that I was guzzling down like a madman. "E-excuse me? You did what now?" I wiped my mouth, a tremendous flurry of emotions running through my mind. "Say you're fucking lying."

Tre just sat across from me with a shit-eating smirk on his lips and I scoffed, feeling an immense rage consume me. "Why would you do that? Are you fucking stupid?" I snapped, hating this familiar feeling. It wasn't the first time Tre had done something like this, but this was the first time I was this angry about this and I had no idea why.

"I just did it because I thought-

"No, you never fucking think, Tre! That's the fucking problem!" His brown eyes widened in regret and shock, his lips turned into a frown. I stood up, slamming my drink down on the table that belonged to the country club. 

"It's easy for you to do things like this because it isn't your life you're fucking with! How many times do I have to tell you, I don't want anyone in my life besides Karsyn, Ms. Turner, and you?!" I turned around on my foot and stormed away, needing a place to hide and tend to my thoughts.

I knew Tre looked crestfallen as I rarely yelled at him, but there was too much on my mind.

I found refuge in the empty locker room, dark as it could be and I sat down on the ground, putting my head on my knees. "Why am I like this?" I whispered to myself, wishing that it was easy for me to allow people in. 

But it was not.

I could not trust a single soul outside of the few people I knew, and I had no one other than my egg donor to blame for that.

I supposed that I also had the various group homes to blame for that as well. 

Fucking pieces of shit that made a child partake in such ludicrous and disgusting acts.

I gritted my teeth, trying to wash away those hateful memories. "It's okay..." I whispered to myself, realizing I forgot to take my anxiety pill this morning. That must have been why I had that outburst on Tre and why I felt so jittery and panicky.

I heard the locker room door open and I looked up to see Tre standing there, a pout on his lips as he stared down at me.

"I'm sorry, man. I really didn't mean anything by it, I just wanted you to meet someone finally. I'm sorry for pushing it," He murmured in a soft tone and I grimaced, not liking how pitiful and sorrowful he sounded. 

I sighed, patting the ground next to me, and he sat close enough for me to feel his body heat. "I'm sorry for yelling at you," I laid my head on his shoulder. "I'm," I relented. "I'm not mad, if I'm being honest."

Tre chuckled as if he knew that already. I really was not mad. I just wasn't a person who could adapt to change like this, especially when I could not predict the outcome.

"I just don't like the idea of letting new people in." I confessed. Tre was really the only person that I wanted in my life because he was there from the start. Having to meet new people and then watch them run out of my life because my sob story was too much to handle was not on my bucket list.

"That's just it, Kieran," Tre stated, looking at me with concerned eyes. "In our entire friendship, you have never let anyone get close to you. I know you may not say it, but part of you is lonely, and you hide behind your past because you're afraid to go through that again. I understand you, but I don't think Terenzio has bad intentions," He smirked knowingly, and part of me wanted to ask what he was implying.

"Normally, I wouldn't push you, but I want you to at least see what Terenzio wants," He offered and part of me questioned what the fuck that man wanted from me. He was 10 years older, and we were not on the same playing field. He was rich, I was not. He was so much better, and that was what made this terrifying.