Prologue

It was too damn early.

Kalya had a growing suspicion she knew who was knocking on her small, rickety window designed solely for customers. But at this ungodly hour? Only he would be shameless enough to wake her up this early. Regardless, she slipped into her loafers and blanketed herself with a thick, black fur, made of fake magic—given to her by the Duke of Yola. It immediately soothed her senses and cozied her up but the relief had been temporary. She still had to deal with the pest that waited for her by the window.

"Who dares wake me up from my sweet slumber?" She groaned out, sitting on the comfortable chair by the window which she liked to imagine her throne.

"It's me, Tarouk," a voice replied, tired, soulless and remorseful.

Kalya rolled her eyes. "To what do I owe the pleasure of having the magistrate by my porch at this blasted time of the day?"

"Kalya, it's an hour before noon."

"So?"

Kalya could hear him shifting his feet and the silence stretched to a few seconds. He must have felt uncomfortable. Good.

"I apologize, I should have sent a messenger beforehand."

"Never mind, what is it that you need?" Kalya waved her hand as if he could see her.

Tarouk cleared his throat, hesitating. "I-I need a love potion. It's for my wife—you see she's been giving me the cold shoulder lately. She thinks I'm not in love with her anymore and is acting like I'm going to leave her but of course I won't. She—she's the love of my life." He crooned, hunching over. Kalya could see his silhouette and his soul dwindling with sadness. "I love her and I'll be heartbroken if she doesn't love me anymore so if you could give me a love potion—I don't care how much. Actually, scratch that, I do care how much. The reason I've been out lately is because I want to surprise her on a voyage and I need funds for that, hence the late hours at work. Forgive me, Kalya."

Kalya sighed, her conscience telling her that she should tell him. But what about the gold? It's the magistrate and he was born loaded but the fact that he confessed that he cared how much he needed to pay must mean that this voyage must be fucking expensive. She leaned back on her chair and crossed both her legs and arms, thinking of the best solution for the magistrate's foolish problem. A fool for love, she thought, both of them.

"Kalya?"

"You don't need a love potion, Tarouk," she said, finally deciding on the former.

"W-why is that?" He seemed surprised. "Do I need something stronger? Is there one for a 'don't leave me' potion."

Kalya chuckled. Did they think there's a potion for everything? Stupid. Stupid—all of them. "Don't be mistaken Tarouk, I could have given you the love potion and asked for a hefty amount of gold but I'm not going to because I like your wife."

"My wife?" He aggressively stood up from his seat. "Did she come here?"

Kalya shook her head and opened her tiny window. She watched the flustered magistrate grip his fists while his blue eyes look from side to side then finally at her. She gave him a small but sincere smile.

"Yes, she was Tarouk. And she asked for the same thing."

Tarouk's eyes misted and if she had been out of her house, she knew he would have hugged her, instead he put a palm on his chest. "Thank you, Kalya. Thank you! I'll never forget this. Oh my gosh—I'm so irrevocably, wholeheartedly in love with her."

Kalya cringed, thinking of a way to migrate soon. There was too much love going around in this town which made her want to barf on most occasions. She waved him away. "Okay, go on. Tell her that and don't bother me anymore."

"Here." Tarouk dropped a small pouch of gold coins.

It was Kalya's turn to be surprised. "I didn't sell you the love potion."

"No, you've done much more."

Kalya closed her eyes and bowed to the magistrate. "Then I shall accept. Vito," she called out as the black feline pet jumped on her lap waving once at the magistrate then taking the pouch with its mouth before disappearing again in the dark room.

'10 gold coins. He must be very happy,' Vito said, pleased and meowed.

'Perfect, now I can buy that dress I've been eyeing on in Yulva's shop.' Kalya smiled, proud of herself. She was going to charge the magistrate the same amount for the love potion but instead was rewarded with a pleasant twist.

"She's waiting for you. You should see her at once," Kalya said, about to close the window, shooing him away. He looked like he was in a trance, probably imagining declaring his undying love for his wife. Again, cringe.

The magistrate beamed before bowing down to her one last time. "I am ever so grateful. Thank you, Godmother."

A/N: Thanks for giving this a chance! Will try to upload at least once a week. I'll have more time on November to focus on my other unfinished stories! Gotta post and write this one though because I have so many good ideas for it ~