Chapter 3

The sunset was a wink away when they arrived at a quaint, industrious and peaceful village. Most had turned in for the evening, opening their tall windows at the newcomers' arrival while some burst open their doors to see if the knights have come to pillage their abode. Kalya could see significant changes of the village since she last stepped on the cobbled stones that lead to the best inn in town. This was where she grew up in her early teen years and Tila, the owner of Rest your Soul Inn and the Villager Head's wife was the closest she had as a mother.

"Goodness gracious, is that you Kalya?" Tila almost shouted. She was a plump woman who had aged beautifully with her chocolate brown skin glowing beautifully. Kalya was overjoyed in seeing her well and lively as ever.

"Tila, I've missed you!" Kalya momentarily dropped down her guard upon seeing Tila then embraced her with just enough tightness just so she wouldn't hurt the aged woman.

"I've missed you more. I'm so happy to see you!" There were tears in Tila's eyes as she touched Kalya's cheek. "You've grown even more beautiful."

Kalya kissed the woman's cheek affectionately. "As do you."

Sir William cleared his throat to have his presence acknowledged. Typical him. Kalya wanted to roll her eyes. "Tila, I've been summoned by the royalty to heal the queen. This is Sir William the royal commander and he's come to escort me to the palace. I fear that this night is very inauspicious for us to continue traveling which is why I recommended this place to stay in til sunrise."

Tila clapped her hands together in delight. "Perfect! I'll have you all bunked in. Pleasure to meet you sir William."

"Pleasure is mine."

"Please come in with your men so I can group you in bunks. How about you Kalya?"

"The usual place."

Tila winked. "Got it. We'll chat later when I got them all settled."

Sir William looked at her with a questioning look but she shooed him forward along with the rest of the knights. By that time a bunch of townsmen have gathered at the front, curious to see who was visiting their town. She waved at them and they waved back while some kids ran forth to check out Vito who hid under her dress.

Kalya crossed her arms and wore a soft smile as the kids ran around her, playing with Vito who occasionally poked his head out. "Vito, come out and play with them."

'You know I hate kids more than you do.' He hissed making Kalya chuckle.

"He's not friendly," Kalya said as she sat to their level. "You children annoy me too, so shoo." When she flicked her hand, sparkles flew in the air making the kids laugh out loud excitedly. Kalya pinched each and everyone of their noses and ears for good growth.

"Now run along you mutts," she said as she cascaded her way towards the inn. Right by the door was Sir William observing her. How long has he been watching her? Is he really that interested in her? How laughable.

"You should go and rest in your room Sir William, not gawk at me as if I'm your prisoner."

He grunted and looked away. "You are my prisoner. I shouldn't take my eyes off you."

"You shouldn't or you can't," she teased and put a hand on her waist.

The knight glared at her, his brows furrowed, Kalya wanted to reach out and straighten the folds of his forehead. "If you try to escape, you'll become a convict."

"I have brains, sir William and I am as eager as you in going to the palace," she quipped, stepping ahead of him. Vito jumped in her arms and hissed at him. "Nobody is going anywhere so drop down your guard or if you want, I can massage your burdened shoulders for you." She reached up and pressed on a point between his collarbone and neck.