Chapter 1

Kalya didn't waste time visiting Yulva's shop to finally get that dress she'd been dreaming of wearing. She could remember the intricate stitching of frills, silk linen, and beautiful pattern of vibrant embroidery. She had never seen a dress like that and she couldn't wait to add it in her collection of fabulous, tasteful wardrobe.

'Your smile is giving me the creeps,' said Vito, making Kalya snap a glare at the cat. It followed her footsteps lightly, trying to keep in the shade of her parasol. She pulled the umbrella away, momentarily exposing him at the sun and making him hiss.

'Petty.' It sneered as she held back the umbrella so it could cover both of them. She had never been a fan of the sun as she was half witch after all but being half fairy make her occasionally long for something fluffy or shining. She'd like to believe she was more of the former since her parents were a full-blooded sorcerer and witch.

"Ha, you can't ruin my mood," Kalya declared to the cat whose dark fur sparkled when hit with the sunlight. She suddenly realized she had something fluffy and shining all along.

Vito meowed in protest. 'I don't see the relevance in spending gold coins for a mere dress.'

"This isn't just any dress. It's a masterpiece," Kalya argued, noticing more kids running around with wind blowers in hand. 5 years ago, when she volunteered to go to this town to heal the plague that almost killed everyone, it was as dull as the stump of her oldest shoes. In contrast, now, healthy mutts run around carefree; townspeople opened shops like business moguls and thrived; the once bleak and moldy streets had cicadas and wisterias blooming everywhere while merry, drunk fishermen sang happy lullabies. It was sickening; Kalya hated going to town because of this but Yulva's shop was unfortunately at the heart of the bustling marketplace. She missed the times when the townsmen were desperate, crying tears of distress and fear, screaming bloody—

"Good morning, Godmother," a woman in her forties halted Kalya's train of thoughts. She wore farmer's clothes and held tightly on a boy's shoulder who looked eager to get away from the woman's clutches. "You might not remember me," she continued shyly, "last week, my boy almost died and he would have if it weren't for you, godmother. Now, he's as robust as any other kid. I just want to thank you—"

"No need," Kalya dismissed her. She loathed these things most of all—sincere gratefulness just gives her the ick. The little boy finally sprung out from her mother's grip and ran into Yulva's shop. Kalya sensed a forewarning and instinctively lifted up her arm to stop the naughty little boy from running over a stack of glass ornaments and crystalized jewelry.

"Oh my!" The mother cried out and swooped in to get her child while simultaneously chiding him.

Yulva ran over, gasping at what could have happened. She protectively stepped in front of her merchandise, giving a flat smile to the mother and child.

"I'm so sorry, Yulva!" The mother turned around to Kalya. "T-thank you, godmother! My child is reckless, though I'm glad to see him running around, I fear that his energy will get him in trouble. I'm so fortunate to have you here."

Kalya crouched down to level with the kid and flicked his nose. "May you be blessed with discipline, young man."

The boy smiled at her, laughing at the little light that sparkled from her flick. Disgusting. Kalya scrunched her face and stood up immediately while Vito jumped on a cozy basket Yulva purposely laid out just in case she would visit.

The mother bowed, forcefully pulling away her child from the store.

"About time I should move this merchandise to somewhere safer," Yulva said, her eyes on the ornaments. "Thank god you're here godmother. This would have cost me hundreds of gold coins!"