Chapter 7

Kalya felt hot and bothered. It was all because of one infuriating man who unashamedly and openly goaded her while she toiled day by day. The first time the crown prince stopped by, it was short and he crossed his arms while she poured medicine in small bowls for her patients then left without a word. Each day, he stayed longer, silently observing her, not muttering a word nor expressing any disdain or a flicker of emotion on his complacent face. She tried to ignore it, feigning polite indifference as she tried to imagine he wasn't in the room but it was futile.

When the sick tried to get up to show him respect, he'd wave his hand away to stop them and continued watching every action she took, listen to every word she said, and hear every response of her patients. He was a hawk that made her feel disconcerted and uncomfortable. Is he ever going to leave?

This time, he sat by the table across the room with a scroll in his hand, reading absentmindedly while glancing at her with a bored look which infuriated the embers in her mind. Why has he stayed for more than ten minutes? Doesn't he have anything better to do? He locked eyes with her multiple times and she felt the insurmountable rage inside her flare up. Once the patient left without a smile nor thanks, she walked up to him in a haughty manner. It was time they end this staring feud of who would crack first.

"To what do I owe these frequent visits from you, your highness?" She asked with a sardonic smile. "I don't see the need to report to William if I have you coming here everyday."

He looked up from the scroll, his eyes searching hers with the same annoyance. "I'm just making sure you're not poisoning my men since you hold their precious lives. I want to see their progress myself."

"I'm assuming you're satisfied with what you see and observed. Many have recovered and more will soon be."

He closed the scroll and placed it on the table, casually bending his knee and rest his ankle on top of his other leg. He leaned back and gave her an aloof look. "Don't celebrate yet. Who's to say they won't die suddenly after you heal them?"

"What do you mean?"

"I'm extending your welcome in the castle for a year or more because I don't trust you."

Kalya narrowed her eyes at him. "Are you hearing yourself, your highness? We had an agreement that I leave once everyone is well. You can't take back your promise."

"There was no promise made nor any contract signed which is why I brought this with me." He unrolled the paper on the table. "Sit down."

She openly glared at him as she sat down unwillingly. Her eyes scanned the document and widened as she read on. The contract stated that she will stay for a year or more in the castle as long as the crown extends his welcome and she is allowed to do anything she pleases as long as she doesn't tell anyone about the events inside the castle and heal whoever is ill. She is also not allowed to bring anyone inside the castle without permission and she is to report to the crown prince directly of any dire situation that entails. Her jaw dropped at the implications of disregarding the statements in the contract which is she be owned by the crown for the rest of her life had she disobeyed them.

"What is this madness?"

"Your contract which you will sign immediately."

"No," she said with vehement conviction. "You will not trap me inside this horrid castle."

"A year only," he negotiated, "with compensation of 100 gold per week."

Her eyes widened at the thought of buying any dress that caught her eye but she restrained herself. "For 150 and take out the implications then it's a deal."

"Done." He held his palm over the scroll and changed the date to only one year with the compensation of one hundred and fifty then took out the implications. There was a feather with ink at the side which she took as she read the contract slowly once more. She peered up at the crown prince thoughtfully, wondering why he was doing this then shook her head and signed her name putting little magic on the feather and ink.

She pushed back the scroll to his hands and as he picked up the feather with ink, he accidentally touched her fingers in the process. Kalya gasped a little as she looked down; there was a spark of energy that surged in her body: a sensation she had not felt in decades. The crown prince looked at their hands with genuine curiosity, not letting go of her fingers and for some reason she did not pull back as well; she was stunned to feel the unique and hot sensation on her skin. His hands looked huge compared to hers and it made Kalya feel tiny for the first time in her life. Neither of them pulled back and when she looked up, his eyes were black; he looked mildly baffled and curious at the same time. She dropped the feather, feeling the heat on her cheeks as he slipped his fingers inside her palm, brushing the back of her hand softly with his thumb.

There was a knock on the door that jolted her, making her pull back her hand. The crown prince looked unshaken, taking the feather that she dropped, and signing his name while he called for the person that knocked to come in.

It was William, solemn and gritty at the same time; he strode in the room briskly and with urgency. When he glanced at her he looked confused and she realized, she must have looked taken aback still or burning. She shook her head and winked, earning a shake of head from him. Gradually, he leaned towards the crown prince's ear and whispered something serious which made the crown prince's eyebrows furrow as he stood up, taking the scroll with him. Both men left the room without a word, leaving her finally alone.

Kalya sighed. What was that? It was weird but a little familiar. She knew she had felt that sensation before but she couldn't remember. Perhaps it happened a lifetime ago, when she was two years from being a decade old and she was being sold as a slave from merchant to merchant. She shuddered from the memory, there was nothing good that happened at that time of her life except for one thing. She remembered being protected and feeling safe after being anxiety-ridden for years. She remembered crying till she lost her voice, her body convulsing with shock and grief. She remembered the first time she heard the kindred spirits calling her name in a tender but shrilling whisper. She remembered the blood that soaked her clothes and covered her dirty hands. Then she remembered Ylan, whom she loved so much she began to believe in fairy tales once again only to be pulled back in her dreaded reality when he died in her arms.

A/N: Hope you like this chapter! Happy New Year everyone!