3 |For a Single Silver Dime|

The temperatures during the Rowlian winter had the tendency to drop below zero, not even the vapours coming from the mechanical cars were enough to make the temperatures rise in the centre of the capital.

Families went to neighbours to ask for an extra set of thick blankets for the night, while mothers and fathers sent out their children with nothing more than a cotton shirt in search of a pity that should never have been there in the first place.

Or, at least, that's what Rosalynde thought as she passed through a narrow alley, a gold coin twirling between her scarred fingers as she then threw it on the ground behind her, a shuffling following soon after.

She didn't need to know how many had seen her toss the coin to the ground, how many children had rushed barefoot to try and close the palm of their small hands around that small round object, trying to secure three months' worth of expenses for themselves and the remaining bastards of their family.

The neighbourhood of District Street that Rosalynde had roamed into had always been full of these types of scenes. At least she'd gotten permission to explore the lesser recommended neighbourhoods of the capital after reaching the age of sixteen - and after eight years, she could say without bothering on spending some good amount of reasoning how that statement sounded truer than ever.

Rosalynde however kept on walking, one gun still strapped around her waist, while the other one, smaller both in terms of calibre and size, nestled deep within the internal pocket of her cloak.

She had less than three hours to prepare for the upcoming meeting, and still had so many things to do before gathering 'round to decide on the fate of their glorious empire.

Squinting, she passed by a mechanical car that had just broken down in the middle of the new street she'd exited from, going then to cover her eyes with her hand as if protecting them from the sun. .

"A small dime, my lady, a small dime for this poor man that lost everything in the last war!" Covered in bandages for head to toe who seemed to be able to only stand up on his feet thanks to the support of a wooden crutch, which for sure had seen better days, was a man that had just come out of an alley like the one she'd passed through a few moments ago.

His plea made the dame of the first apparent heir stop in her tracks, successfully making her turn around as she took her time in squaring him from head to toe.

"What has happened to you that made you become like this?" Rosalynde asked the man, a demure smile creeping over her lips as her fingers brushed the weapon concealed by her heavy cloak.

"A damn grenade got to me ma'am, was lucky enough to escape with my life, but the impact didn't leave me unscathed , and that's why you've met me in this way today."

Rosalynde cocked her head aside, her clear eyes filled with something the man couldn't put his finger on. "Must have been quite the explosion," was all she said.

"Oh it was ma'am, now pardon my indiscretion, but could you spare a single dime for this poor, hungry man?" He extended the hand free of the clutch towards her, trembling fingers inviting her to drop a dime to help him get something to warm his belly.

"Tell me-" she stopped midway.

"Arder ma'am, only Arder."

She nodded, taking out from her wallet a silver dime, watching it closely before clearing her throat."Excellent, Ander, I believe I've missed the part where you said the name of the battle you fought in? I would like to go to church and light up a candle to honour the memory of the brave soldiers that fell on your side," Rosalynde asked in a kind voice, knowing very well about the mispronounced name.