Chapter 10 - Sense Of Normalcy

Should I knock or just barge in?

I have been standing in front the twin's bedroom door for an eternity. That's what it feels like to me, anyway. It probably hasn't been more than a couple of minutes though. But that doesn't make it any easier. My palms are sweaty and my legs slightly jittery.

For a change, it has nothing to do with the silly sign still hung up on the door, ordering me to keep out or accept the (not so nice) consequences. Recently, Aidan has not been as adamant to stick to that previously sacred rule of his. Ever since we started our infamous "investigation" into our family's secrets, I have probably spent more time in their bedroom than any time before and none of said consequences have happened.

Maybe he is finally growing up, and that's why he has left me in peace.

Yeah, and elephants can fly.

I take another step closer. Now, the tips of my shoes are gracing the door. Leaning forward, I put my ear against the wood, hoping to hear a sound to help me determine what I am going to walk into – if I dare walk in there, at all.

Complete silence. Not a peep can be heard.

Are they even in their room?

Maybe Jack is wrong and they're not here. As he said, he had fallen asleep in his own room. That means he could easily have missed them leaving theirs. Maybe even leaving the house. And with Ben back on the road, nobody would have stopped them either.

A shiver runs down my spine at the thought of my 14-year-old siblings out there on their own. Exposed to that no-longer-invisible threat that my oldest brothers seem to be so worried about. A threat that I thought was just a misunderstanding or a sign of their insufferable overprotectiveness. And now I have learned that it is very real. 

Convincing myself that this is my duty, I count to three in my head and just walk in. Or better, I try to walk in – and fail spectacularly. Because the door is locked, resulting in me painfully banging my forehead against the wood. I let out an involuntary yelp.

"Go away!" Noah immediately shouts from the other side.

Rubbing my aching head, I notice with satisfaction and a big portion of relief that they have not disappeared. Or at least Noah is still here, which is the most important thing because he is the one I am worried about the most. I can only imagine how distraught he must be from the news. I would not want him to be out there by himself.

"It's me," I announce, knocking on the door.

"I don't care. Go away!"

I can't tell for sure, but to me, his voice sounds slightly hoarse. And angry, which is unusual, coming from Noah. But I am prepared for anything. I really cannot blame him if he is super angry, even if it will make it more difficult to deal with him if he is like that. I don't have much experience with an angry version of my youngest brother.

"I... I just want to come in and... and say hi," I struggle to explain why I am here. "Please?"

I want to say so much more. Like, that I want to know how he and Aidan are feeling. I want to talk to them about what happened – only if they are willing to, of course. And I want to give both of them a big hug, although it might be a bit of a challenge to get Aidan to comply. However, I am not above trying.

"Leave. Me. Alone!" Noah yells back, sounding very aggressive now.

Feeling slightly defeated, I lean my forehead against door as I try to come up with a more convincing argument. I need him to let me in. And if he thinks he can get me to leave just because he is trying to push my away, Noah has another thing coming.