Chapter Thirty-Three

Xenia yawned as she and Bast walked into Dabrowski's home. They'd gotten nearly everything done with the cabin and tomorrow she could begin moving Jules' and her own things into it. However, the more their bond solidified, the more she felt remorse for her sister. Bast had hardly spoken a word all afternoon and seemed in a world of her own. She watched her glance up at the stairs, and then shudder as if the thought of ascending them set her stomach to knots.

"Um, I think I'm going to go for a quick run. I'll be back later."

Before Xenia could say anything to her, Bast left back through the front door, shedding her clothes along the way. So much like a moody kit... Xenia shook her head and picked up Bast's discarded clothing, then began folding them into a neat pile at the credenza by the front door. Jules came in with Gabe, bantering over something as Jules pinched at his side, then they looked at Xenia.

"What's this? Bast went out for another run before dinner?" Jules asked.

Gabe's face lit up and he spun around, shedding his clothes as he ran in the same direction as Bast. There were at least two good things that had come out of Bast deciding to stay with them. The first was the fact that she now had a pack, an entire family at her back and she'd definitely blossomed in that department. The second was how easily Gabe had accepted her as one of their family. They'd even spent several evenings running together before dinner since.

Jules chuckled and grabbed his clothes, folding them alongside Xenia. She could feel Jules watching her as she played with the collar of Bast's shirt and grumbled under her breath. Jules giggled beside her and wrapped her arms around her torso snuggling into her side.

"What is it, fox? What's got you so worried?"

"Bast and I had a conversation about our soul bonds. How they're formed and how to make them stronger." Xenia returned her embrace and exhaled as she relaxed against her and Jules traced her fingertips along her back. How could it be so easy for them, but so difficult for others? She just wanted her family, her dear friends to be happy. "She left to talk with Pen and when she came back, she looked even worse. I'm really worried about them."

"I know what you mean." Jules buried her face in her chest and she could hear her taking in her scent.

"Really?"

"Yes. Today at the crops, Pen was barely even present." She pulled back and looked into Xenia's eyes, sorrow drenching her features. "She was in a daze the whole time. When she came back from the cafe, I don't know, she just seemed so...depressed. Then, she left not long after. When Gabe came to pick me up from work, he told me she hadn't left her room since he offered to get her back here for a soak. She's been so wrapped up in her head that she hadn't even noticed how dry her skin had grown."

Xenia sighed and gave Jules one last hug. She turned toward the stairs and looked back at Jules, receiving an encouraging nod. Once she arrived, she knocked on Pen's door and entered when given permission. Bast and Pen's mingling scents drifted into her nostrils and only confused her more as to why those two were dragging their feet. There had to be more to it.

"Can we talk?"

Pen looked up. One of her cheeks held a berry inside and her evening glasses sat low on her nose as she leaned over a book on her bed. She chewed and swallowed her berry as she sat up. "About what?"

"Scoot..."

Xenia began to tell her to move over, then thought better of it. If Bast caught her scent in their bed, on what she obviously saw as their den, she would... Be forced to talk to Pen about it. A smile flitted across her face and Pen furrowed her brow.

"What?"

"Oh, nothing. Just wanted to hang out for a bit. Feel like we never see each other."

"What are you talking about? We just saw each other this morning." Pen scooted back towards her headboard and leaned against it, settling her book in her lap.

Xenia knew she was about to play dirty, but her options were limited and words didn't seem to be getting through to Bast or Pen. Bast was a dominant and needed to take the lead. Maybe this would give her the push she needed. Xenia nudged Pen and she moved over and leaned away to put her book aside. When she had her back turned to her, Xenia wriggled a bit in the bed and received an odd look when Pen turned back around.

"Just getting comfy." Pen appeared quite unsure of that being the truth, so before she could speak up again, Xenia got back to task. "Yeah, but not really. You said something about Bast and then ran off. Then said bye when you left for your new work detail. Speaking of which, are you liking the farm lands?"

"I love them. They're so fresh and calming."

"If that's the case, then why is Jules telling me you're depressed?"

Pen looked away and clicked her tongue. While her head was turned away, Xenia rubbed her back against Bast's pillow and smirked, then stood up once more. Pen turned back and looked at her skeptically.

"Where are you going now?"

"I'm going to let you come to me when you're ready to talk about it. Like Bast did." And I already got what I came for.

Pen grimaced, deep in thought and looked down at her sheets, picking at some fuzz on them.

"Just know I'm here, okay, Pen?"

"O... Okay..."