Chapter Thirty-Seven

Dabrowski approached Pen, the last of the inner circle to drink the ceremonial wine. This was the one part of the ascension ceremony with which she was a bit conflicted. Before going to each of the inner circle members prior to herself, Pen had watched as Xenia cut her thumb and let a small amount of her blood drop and mix with the wine. The idea of drinking blood churned her stomach.

Xenia had assured her before the ceremony that she wouldn't even be able to taste the blood. That the wine would mingle with it and there wouldn't even be a visible trace of her blood within it. Still, as much as Pen understood all other parts of the ritual, the markings they had painted over their faces and chests, the need to wear the traditional garments, and even having each of their head pieces anointed by Xenia, the blood part was just a bit much.

Dabrowski bent down and repeated her previous words to the other inner circle members to Pen and she knelt. Dabrowski leaned in a bit further and winked, whispering, "Don't worry so much, Pen. You won't taste it or even sense it is in it until the circle is complete. This is where you belong. It'll be over before you know it."

Pen nodded and took the cup, trying not to show her discontent. She tipped it and her head back and took a sip, lifting her eyebrows when she realized they were right. She could hear Dabrowski release a soft chuckle as she took the cup and moved back to the center of the circle.

She dipped her hand into the large gauntlet and took up some of the wine within cupped hands. Xenia bowed her head as Dabrowski dripped the wine into her hair, then lifted her head again. Dabrowski dipped her thumb into the cup and drew symbols onto Xenia's forehead.

Her eyes began to shine.

Suddenly, the wind in the circle picked up and as Pen gazed around, she saw the eyes of all the inner circle glowing as well. A rush of strength flooded her and they all rose to their feet.

Dabrowski placed a very old, thin crown looking to have been passed down from generations back in ancient times, on Xenia's head and backed away, bowing her own as she knelt. "You are now Xenia Zielinski, First Vixen of the Lis tribe, leader of the people of Pierwsza Matka', and mother of Pack Lis."

All the fox surrounding the ceremonial grounds knelt down and Xenia, calmer and more dominant than Pen had ever seen her, turned to them all. She lifted her hand to her lips and placed two fingers against them. All the fox did the same, including the inner circle. Pen felt like she was acting on a basic instinct she'd known all her life, mimicking their gestures. She felt this was right, this was truly home and this... This was pack.