12: wherefores

12: wherefores

More than a week passed idly.

During this time, Athanasia figured something out.

Uncle Nereus and her own biological Uncle Anastacius seemed to have... something going on between them. It was by chance she stumbled upon them catching each other's eyes during lunchtime. Her uncle's eyes wavered, as if something stunned him. On the other hand, Uncle Nereus' amiable smile turned even more... charming.

God, how could there be such a beautiful man in this world?!

Though, Athanasia had to soothe Lucas after getting jealous.

This past few days, Athanasia lived every single day in a relaxing manner. The strict rules of the palace, she did not need to keep in mind. Here, at Mieta, the etiquette of a princess could be discarded.

It reminded her of the modern life she lived in the past.

Although the setting was a little different, and that technology was not as advanced, the feeling of spending time with loved ones satisfied her heart. On top of that, Jennette, her cousin sister, finally seemed to be having fun each day.

Whenever Jennette's letters arrived at the palace, Athanasia would read them first before anything else. She would talk about her little adventures with Cordelia-Calyx and how much fun the youth brought her. Cordelia-Calyx often looked after Athanasia's cousin sister, and would even pamper her when possible.

At first, Athanasia was a bit worried.

Jennette was a very simple girl, not stupid, just simple. She disliked having hidden motives and would only do things that would not harm another. The princess thought that maybe, the person accompanying her cousin sister would take advantage of this.

Fortunately, Cordelia-Calyx was not that sort of person.

In fact, Athanasia believed the youth to be an ideal older sibling.

He was thoughtful, often reminding Jennette of rocks or loose cobblestones. If her cousin sister had her mind flying in the clouds, Cordelia-Calyx would guide Jennette on the road so that she would not bump into anything or anyone. Speaking in a soft, tender voice, as if afraid that Jennette might get frightened.

That sort of thoughtfulness eased the worries in the princess' heart. Mieta was not as grand as the capital nor was it as fancy but it had a homey, down-to-earth feeling that suited the life Jennette yearned for.

So, even if she worried, Athanasia praised her father's decision of 'banishing' their relatives to this place.

As the princess relished in this simple life, her cousin sister was currently outside with Calyx, buying groceries for dinner.

She carried a fish half her height, stumbling every now and then due to the weight. Beside her, Calyx hovered like a worried parent, hands hanging in midair as he suspected Jennette falling sooner or later.

This girl, who could barely lift two buckets of water, insisted on carrying the fish that weighed more than her.

"Jennette, I really think I should carry the fish while you carry the vegetables later."

"No," the girl huffed as she took another step forward. "Delia always carries the fish before, I want to try it!"

Her insistence filled Calyx with distress. Doing such labor did not suit Jennette at all! Furthermore, Calyx was used to carrying such weights. How could it be easy for someone like Jennette who looked as if she would stumble with each step?

Seeing her determined look, Calyx did not know whether he should cry or laugh. Jennette was too precious; how dare he let her do such taxing labor? Without word, Calyx snatched the fish from Jennette's embrace and threw it over his shoulder.