𝑰𝑰 - 𝒒𝒖𝒊𝒍𝒆𝒖𝒕𝒆 𝒍𝒆𝒈𝒆𝒏𝒅𝒔

ACT TWO

Zelda tried to make the best out of her life

Zelda tried to make the best out of her life. She always did. She paid attention in school, she was friendly and kind and she spent time with the people closest to her. She loved her dad, her sister and Angela and she would always be there for them, in a heartbeat. She was angry with Jacob being so mean to her and Bella and even more at the fact that he left them for Sam Uley. For Paul Lahote. Jacob knew she dreaded the boy and she thought he knew what it felt like to be abandoned like that, he felt it when Embry left. Embry wasn't that close to Zelda, tho close enough to notice her dislike towards Paul. How she'd never say his full name, even less so his first name. How her nose would scrunch up and her eyebrows furrowed whenever she'd mutter Lahote.

She was dealing with a lot of emotions at the time being and so she thought it was a good idea to go hiking with Bella. She thought nothing of it. Bella was dealing with losing Edward and Jacob and Zelda was busy with childishly scolding both Lahote and Jacob in her mind.

She thought nothing of it when the pair clumsily stumbled through the forest and the girls even giggled when Zelda lost her foot and fell into a small puddle of water. So she continued walking with her lower half completely drenched.

She realised that this trip was for one specific purpose tho, when they entered a large meadow and Zelda knew that Bella was just looking for a trace of the vampire. Heartbroken, Bella dropped to her knees and Zelda kept herself from rolling her eyes because it did hurt her to see her sister so sad.

She stood a few steps behind her until she felt a presence of someone else.
Bella stood up as well and simultaneously, their eyes fell onto none other than Laurent.

"Bella" he mumbled and once again, Zelda was left out only this time she appreciated it dearly.

"Laurent." Bella answered and suddenly, he was closer, much closer. Zelda flinched and took a step back, halting herself tho because she knew there was no running away from him.

"I didn't expect you here. I wanted to visit the Cullens but, their house is empty." He walked around a bit and Zelda felt herself starting to tear up. Her chest rapidly went up and down as she tried to stop her heavy breathing.

"I'm surprised they left you behind. Weren't you sort of a, pet or theirs?" He asked, Zelda getting more anxious with every passing second. She wondered how Bella remained so calm.

"Yeah, you could say that." Bella agreed. Zelda's eyes flew from Bella to Laurent and then to the woods.

"Do the Cullens visit often?" He asked next and Zelda prayed her sister could come up with a good lie. Zelda was better of a liar between the both of them, not that she'd lie often.

Bellas body language changed suddenly making Zelda internally get ready for her death.

"Yeah, absolutely, all the time." She said and Zelda finally let out her infamous eyeroll. She was definitely going to die, she concluded.

"I'll tell them that you stopped by. I shouldn't probably tell Edward, because he's pretty protective." She nodded and Laurent smiled.

Zelda looked around now, trying to think of a way to escape, any way.

"But he's far away, isn't he?" He asked, hands in the air.

"Why are you here?" Bella suddenly asked and Zelda mentally cursed her.

To kill you, my god.

"I came as a favour, to Victoria. She asked me to see if you were still under the protection of the Cullens. Victoria feels it's only fair to kill Edwards mate, given he killed hers. An eye for an eye." He explained, Zeldas eyes widened even further and Bellas breath finally picked up, too.

"Edward would know who did it! And he'd come after you!" Her sister threatened. Laurent made a face and shook his head,

"I don't think he will." Zelda didn't think so, too.

"After all, how much could you mean to him, if he left you here, unprotected." He sighed then.

"Victoria won't be happy about me killing you," he started and Zelda took a step towards her sister, grabbing her hand and squeezing it. There was no way either of them would survive this. Not without some miracle.

"But I can't help myself, you are so mouth-watering." Zelda cringed at that, closing her eyes to calm herself in any way she could.

"Please don't, I mean you helped us." Her older sister begged not and suddenly, Laurent was right infront of them, hands lingering around their faces.

"Sh, don't be afraid, I'm doing you a kindness. Victoria plans on killing you slowly. Painfully. Whereas I'm making it quick, I promise." His voice made Zelda almost throw up. The girl was now crying quietly, shaking and trembling under his gaze, red eyes boring into hers.

Then suddenly, there was a sound of leaves crunching and low growling. Three heads turned towards the sound, Laurent mumbling something under his breath and out stepped a black wolf. A large wolf. Three heads taller than Bella and Zelda large. It came to a stop a few feet infront of them and behind it came out more wolves. Laurent suddenly turned and ran and Zelda was confused at that.

If they were just wolves, wouldn't Laurent be able to kill them? Even if they happened to be this big? The pack of wolves starting chasing after Laurent, except for two wolves who stayed behind for a few seconds, Zeldas eyes locking on a grey ones. Her breath hitched and she fell backward onto her butt, trying to crawl away. She felt something in the pit of her stomach, and suddenly she was leaning over and throwing up. When she turned her head back, the wolves were gone. The miracle Zelda wished for. It was them. They were the miracle.

Bella crouched next to Zelda, holding her hair and helping her up quickly, the pair of them running home.

Bella instantly rambled to Harry Clearwater and her dad about what happened, leaving out the vampire part.

But Zelda kept quiet. Her eyes met Harry's for a second and he looked at her weirdly. She went into the bathroom, still in shock and washed herself clean. She then went into her bedroom and sat infront of her laptop. She did her own research, the question on why Laurent was scared of wolves lingering in her mind.

After some Googling and thinking she thought of something. Something everyone knew, that vampires had one enemy in every movie, book or show there was. Werewolves. And so she did her research on werewolves, also called shapeshifters. And that's when she stumbled upon the quileute legends.