Ch. 6: The Dursleys

The next morning, we made our way to the airport and headed back to London. Upon getting back to our house, my dad looked at me.

"Tomorrow, we're gonna go check on Harry," he said.

I nodded, then looked at my mom.

"Maybe while we're there, we can talk to them about adopting him," I said to her.

"Maybe," she said with a smile.

The rest of the day went by. In the morning, I woke up and started getting ready to go see Harry. My dad then walked in from outside. He looked at me.

"Change of plans, we're not gonna be able to go see him today," he said.

"What? Why not?" I asked.

"Two of the tires on the car are flat," he said.

"Wait, how? We haven't even been home. There's no way they could've gone flat," I said in confusion.

"Yeah, I know. It doesn't make sense to me either. I could've sworn they were fine when we got back," he said.

"Okay, well, what about a taxi. Couldn't we just take a taxi there?" I asked.

"I already calling multiple taxi services. None of them will answer," he said.

"Huh, that's strange," I said.

"Yeah, it is. I called a mechanic and a tow truck to get new tires, but they said they won't be able to do it until tomorrow," he said.

I nodded. The day went by. I spent most of the time thinking about how the tires could've went flat and why none of the taxi services answered. I also wrote letters to Harry, Ron, and Hermione.

The next day came, and the tow truck arrived to take the car to the shop. Eventually, my dad got a call saying the car was ready to be picked up. He left to get it as I sat, waiting for him. As soon as he pulled in, my mother and I got in the car, and we made our way to pick up Harry. We pulled into the driveway of Number 4 Privet Drive, Harry's aunt and uncle's house. We got out, and my dad knocked on the door. A large man opened it.

"Yes? Who are you? We're not interested in buying anything," the man said, who I assumed was Harry's uncle Vernon.

"Is Harry here?" my dad asked.

An annoyed expression appeared on Mr. Dursley's face.

"Yeah, he's upstairs," Mr. Dursley said. "What do you want with him?"

"We'd just like to see him," my dad responded.

Vernon, through gritted teeth, nodded before calling to Harry. I watched as Harry made his way down the staircase, smiling when he saw me.

"There, you've seen him. Now, I'd like to enjoy the rest of the day with my family in peace," Vernon said.

"Actually, we'd like a word with all of you," my mom said. "Can we come in?"

Vernon looked at us for a few moments before ushering us in with an annoyed expression.

He led us to the living room where we all sat, including Mrs. Dursley and Dudley Vernon, their son.

"Now, I'd like to talk about the possibility of us adopting Harry," my mom said.

They all, including Harry, gave her an incredulous look.

"Wait, you mean like, I'd live with you all? Permanently?" Harry asked.

My mom nodded with a smile, and Harry smiled back at this.

"Well, I assure you, you don't want to do that. Harry is a problem child. He's not the kind of child you want living in your home," Mr. Dursley said.

"That's a lie. Harry's not a bad person," I said in annoyance.

My mom then gave me a look, wordlessly telling me to leave it.

"If that's what you want, then by all means, start the process," Vernon said. "But if anything happens, don't say I didn't warn you."

I rolled my eyes at this, knowing Harry better than being worried about what Vernon had to say about him. We talked more about it, and eventually, I went upstairs with Harry to talk to him, while my parents went into more detail with the Dursleys about the adoption process. Once in the room, Harry looked at me.

"Harry, how come you haven't wrote any letters to us?" I asked. "We've all been worried about you."

"I was about to ask the same. I haven't gotten any letters from any of you guys," Harry said.

"Huh? That's weird. Have you written us any?" I asked.

"Yeah, of course," Harry said.

"You wanna know what's weird about that?" I said. "We were planning on coming yesterday, but the tires on my dad's car went flat and none of the taxi services would answer."

"Yeah, that is odd," Harry said. "You think maybe someone, or something, doesn't want me talking to you guys?"

"I'm not sure, but I was thinking the same thing," I said.

We continued talking about our theories and other things before my parents told me it was time to go. As we were driving, my parents said that they were going to start the process tomorrow.

More days passed. Hermione and I hung out a few more times, and we all continued to write back and forth. Except for Harry, of course. And I continued my boxing lessons.

Eventually, it was Harry's birthday. We went back to the Dursleys, and they, surprisingly, allowed us to take him to celebrate. We decided to go to a restaurant and watch a movie. I gave him the presents I had gotten him, which was some candies and another few outfits. My parents also gave him their gifts, which were similar.

The next day was my birthday, and I was going to be spending the day with Hermione. We went to an amusement park, where I saw her waiting. I got out of the car, waving goodbye to my parents before I made my way to Hermione.