Ch. 17: The Library

On the night of February 14th, I was awoken to Harry shaking me and Ron. I bolted up and looked at Harry.

"What's going on, Harry?" I asked, still trying to fully wake up.

"It was Hagrid. Hagrid opened the Chamber of Secrets fifty years ago," Harry said.

"What?" Ron and I asked in confusion.

"Tom Riddle's diary. I wrote in it and Tom Riddle responded. I asked Tom about the Chamber, and he showed me him finding Hagrid with a creature in a box after the death of a girl," Harry said.

"Look, Harry. We should talk more about this in the morning. With Hermione," I said.

"You're right," Harry said.

The following morning, Harry, Ron, Hermione, and I were walking across the grounds. Harry told Hermione about what he saw.

"It can't be Hagrid. It just can't be," Hermione said.

"We don't even know this Riddle. He sounds like a dirty, rotten snitch to me," Ron said.

"The monster had killed someone, Ron. What would any of us have done?" Harry said.

"Look. Hagrid's our friend. Why don't we just go ask him about it?" Hermione suggested.

"That'd be a cheerful visit. Hello, Hagrid. Tell us, have you been setting anything mad and hairy loose in the castle lately?" Ron said.

"Mad and hairy? Wouldn't be talking about me, now would yeh?" Hagrid asked from behind us, causing us to jump.

"No!" we all said at once, causing Hagrid to give us a look of suspicion.

"What's that you've got there, Hagrid?" Harry asked as I noticed the canister in Hagrid's hand.

"Flesh-Eating Slug Repellent. For the Mandrakes, you know? According to Professor Sprout, they still got a bit of growing up to do, but once their acne clears up, we'll be able to chop 'em up, stew 'em, and get those people in the hospital un-petrified. 'Til then, you four best watch yourselves, alright?" Hagrid said as we all nodded.

Hagrid then walked away, just before Neville came running up, looking pale.

"Harry, I don't know who did it, but you'd better come quick," Neville said.

We all followed Neville up to the Common Room to the dormitories. Once we got to Harry's space, we all looked in shock. It was a disaster. His trunk had been torn through, his drawers were flung open, and his bedsheets we're strewn on the floor.

"What in the world happened here? Who could've done this?" I asked.

"It had to be a Gryffindor. Nobody else knows our password. Unless, it wasn't a student..." Hermione said as we all looked at each other.

"Well, whoever it was, they were looking for something," Ron said.

"And they found it... Tom Riddle's diary is gone," Harry said.

A few months had passed, and on May 8th, it was time for the Gryffindor vs. Hufflepuff Quidditch match. Still with not much to go on regarding the Chamber, we just had to simply hope that we could find something before there was another death at Hogwarts.

We were all making our way to the Quidditch match, Harry dressed in his Quidditch robes. We were making our way down a marble staircase, when we spotted Ginny.

"Hey, Ginny! Going to the match?" Ron asked.

Ginny looked startled before shaking her head and walking off.

"I'm telling you, she gets weirder and weirder by the day," Ron said.

Suddenly, Harry froze in his tracks as we all looked at him as he seemed to be listening to something.

"No... don't tell me..." Ron said, knowing he was hearing the voice again.

Harry then turned and ran his hand against the wall as he seemed to be following the voice before he stopped and turned to us, shaking his head. It was gone.

"Harry... I think I've just understood something! I've got to go to the library!" Hermione said before she started to run off.

"I'll go with you," I said as I started to follow her.

"No, no, that's alright. You go enjoy the match," Hermione said.

I looked at her for a moment before nodding as she ran off.

"Just be careful!" I shouted to her as she disappeared.

"What did she understand?" Harry asked as I shook my head.

"I don't know, but I really don't think she should be going alone," I said.

"Why would she be going to the library?" Harry asked.

"That's Hermione. When in doubt, go to the library," Ron said.

As we all started to walk again, I had a bad feeling, and I noticed my bracelet turned red.

"You guys go ahead. I've gotta check on Hermione," I said quickly before running off toward the library as quickly as I could.

Before I even got inside, my heart dropped. A few feet away from the door, Hermione was on the ground, holding a mirror, petrified. Without hesitation, I picked her up and carried her to the hospital wing, tears streaming down my face as I did so. When I got there, Madam Pomfrey had me place her on one of the hospital beds. Seconds later, Dumbledore came in, carrying another petrified student that they called Penelope Clearwater, followed by Professor McGonagall. Dumbledore quickly told Professor McGonagall to let everyone know the Quidditch match had been cancelled. She ran off to do so as I stood by Hermione's bed, clutching her hand, tears still streaming down my face.

"I'm sorry, Mr. L/N. I know how much Miss Granger means to you," Dumbledore said from behind me. "But we will be able to cure her. She'll be alright."

"It should've been me," I said. "I told her I'd protect her, and I didn't. It should've been me."

"I understand how you must be feeling, Mr. L/N-" Dumbledore started.

"Do you?" I shouted before looking down.

Dumbledore went silent, understanding that nothing he said would make me feel any different.

"I'll give you some time alone, then," he said. "But once it's time to leave, go straight to the Common Room."

I nodded, but said nothing as he left.

A few minutes after, Harry and Ron came in with Professor McGonagall.

"Hermione!" Ron and Harry said in shock as they walked up to her bed.

"Y/N found her near the library. Along with this. Does it mean anything to any of you?" Professor McGonagall asked as she held up the mirror Hermione was holding.

We all shook our heads. McGonagall nodded before leading us out of the hospital wing to the Common Room. The rest of the Gryffindors were already inside.