Ch. 8: Mandrakes

I got ready and we made it to King's Cross. We got to the barrier and walked through. I waved my parents goodbye as I saw Hermione and walked up to her. She smiled when she saw me, and we both boarded the train and found an empty compartment.

"Where are Ron and Harry?" I asked as the train started to move.

"I'm sure they're on board somewhere. Maybe they just found another compartment," Hermione said.

"Yeah, maybe," I said. Some time passed, and I was staring out the window when I spotted something outside. "Um... Hermione. I think I know where Ron and Harry are."

Hermione looked out the window to see the flying Ford Anglia.

"Oh no, they're going to get into a lot of trouble for this," Hermione said. "Mrs. Weasley is gonna be furious that the car was taken a second time."

I nodded in agreement as I watched the car disappear out of view. The train ride went on, and eventually, we had made it to Hogwarts. This time, instead of taking the boats to Hogwarts, we made our way to some carriages that were being pulled by some black, skeleton, horse-like creatures. I had never seen anything like them, but I said nothing. Surprisingly, neither did Hermione, as if she didn't even notice them. We both boarded the carriage, and it took us to the castle. We made our way to the Great Hall and took our seats. Not long after, the first year students filed in to get sorted.

Suddenly, Ron and Harry enter the Great Hall and sat by us, explaining what happened. They flew the Ford Anglia into the Whomping Willow, and it smashed the car, breaking Ron's wand in the process. They got detention, but luckily didn't get expelled. I then noticed a man with blonde hair who was smiling with perfect pearly-white teeth, sitting at the teacher's table.

"Who's that?" I asked.

"Gilderoy Lockhart," Ron and Harry both said with a disgusted look.

"He's the one who practically forced Harry to take a picture with him at Diagon Alley and gave him an entire set of his published works as a 'gesture of good faith'. More like trying to protect his public image, I'd say," Ron said.

"Honestly, you two, what is your problem with him? He's an amazing wizard, if only you two ever read what he's done," Hermione said, which caused a feeling I couldn't explain, but not a good one this time.

I said nothing and ate.

"We're the ones who have the problem? No, your problem is that you're too obsessed with him to see him for what he actually is: a bloody git who only cares about fame," Ron said.

The two went back and forth about this, and eventually, I couldn't take it and slammed my fist against the table, causing many students to look at me and Hermione and Ron to stop arguing.

"Is this really what you two are gonna do as soon as we get back? Argue over a teacher? I'd like to enjoy being back, not this," I said as they both looked down.

"Sorry, Y/N," Hermione said, putting her hand in mine, out of view of everyone else, which made me immediately feel bad for losing my temper.

"Yeah, mate. Sorry," Ron said.

"Well, don't apologize to me. You two were the ones arguing," I said with a small laugh.

They then turned to each other and apologized. Eventually, the feast was over, and we made our way to the Gryffindor Common Room. We went to our dorms and I quickly fell asleep.

The next morning, we made our way to Greenhouse Three for Herbology with Professor Sprout. We all stood by the table with a potted plant, an empty pot, and a pair of earmuffs in front of each of us.