Ch. 19: Ford Anglia Rescue

Harry, Ron, Fang, who Ron grabbed when he realized where we were going, and I walked towards the Forbidden Forest, where the trail of spiders led. Fang was practically leading the way. Suddenly, Fang let out a low growl as we heard the noise of a branch snap and a low rumbling.

"There's something over there," Harry said, pointing toward where the sound was coming from. "Something big."

Suddenly, there was a blaze of light and Ron looked shocked.

"It's our car!" Ron said.

As I looked more closely, I realized Ron was right. The Ford Anglia was covered in mud and grass. Ron walked around it, staring in amazement.

"It's been here all this time! Look at it. The Forest has turned it wild," Harry said before looking back at the trail of spiders. "Come on, we don't wanna lose the trail."

Ron and I nodded as we made our way forward. Eventually, we made it to a small clearing surrounded by enormous trees, covered in webs. I looked ahead, my eyes following the trail of spiders as they went into a pitch black cavern. We made our way closer and heard the echoes of a clicking sound. Ron fell back a bit, looking nervous.

"I don't have a good feeling about this," Ron said as the echoing got louder, and we got closer to the entrance of the cavern.

"Don't panic," Harry said.

Suddenly, a huge shadow emerged from the mouth of the cavern before a creature started to form from the shadows. It was a giant spider, the size of a baby elephant. As it moved forward, we all backed up slowly before it stopped.

"You do not come from the forest. Your hearts beat like... men," the creature said, much to our surprise.

"Yes... we- we're friends of Hagrid's. And you. You're Aragog, aren't you?" Harry asked.

The giant spider's head tilted, like a nod.

"Hagrid has never sent men into our hollow before," Aragog spoke.

"He's in trouble. Up at school, there've been attacks. They think it's Hagrid. They think he's opened the Chamber of Secrets. Like before," Harry said.

As Harry spoke, I caught Ron's eyes. He was looking to the trees, where long legs could be seen. More spiders. Ron nudged Harry, but Harry ignored him.

"That's a lie! Hagrid never opened the Chamber of Secrets!" Aragog said.

"Then that means you're not the monster," I said.

"The monster was born in the castle. I came from a distant land in the pocket of a traveler," Aragog explained.

I then noticed more spiders. They were watching us, almost like they were waiting on something.

"Harry..." Ron said.

"Shh!" Harry said, still not paying attention.

I gripped my wand, just in case.

"But if you're not the monster, what did kill that girl fifty years ago?" Harry asked.

"We do not speak of it! It is an ancient creature we fear above all others," Aragog said.

"But have you seen it?" Harry asked.

I heard a noise above us as I looked to see a spider sitting on a branch above us.

"I never saw any part of the castle but the cupboard in which Hagrid kept me. The girl was discovered in a bathroom. When I was accused, Hagrid brought me here," Aragog answered.

The spiders started making their way down the trees on their webs, right above our heads. Ron tugged on Harry's sleeve.

"What?" Harry asked, annoyed, looking at Ron.

Ron pointed above us and Harry's eyes widened as he started backing away slowly. Ron and I did the same.

"Well... Thank you. We'll just go..." Harry said.

"Go? I think not. My sons and daughters do not harm Hagrid on my command, but I cannot deny them fresh meat when it wanders so willingly into our midst," Aragog said as the spiders started closing in on us. "Goodbye, friends of Hagrid."

Aragog then disappeared into the cavern as the spiders closed in, much quicker now.

"Can we panic now?" Ron asked, terrified.

I drew my wand as the spiders started closing us in. They had us caught in the middle of them, so all we could do was fight through them. Harry and Ron pulled out their wands as well, the spiders getting even closer.

"Nice knowing you," Ron said.

"We're not dying. Not today," I said. "Arania Exumai."

I waved my wand and it blasted some of the spiders away as Harry did the same. We continued firing spells, but there were just too many of them. They continued closing in.

Suddenly, there was a blinding flash of light and the sound of a horn. The Ford Anglia drove towards us, pummeling the spiders as it did so.

"Let's go!" Harry shouted as we all made our way to the car, firing spells at the spiders as we did so.

Eventually, all three of us got to the car and got in, Harry and Ron in the front. I got in the back. The spiders surrounded the car, getting dangerously close.

"The windows! Roll the windows up!" Harry  shouted as we all did so.

But Ron's window wasn't rolling up.

"I can't! It's stuck!" Ron yelled.

Ron gave up on rolling the window up and threw the car in reverse, slamming his foot on the gas. One spider was hanging tight onto Ron's window. The car landed with a thud as it got out of the hollow. Suddenly, a scream is heard as Harry and I looked to see a spider trying to pull Ron out the window. Harry shot a spell at it, blasting the spider away.

"Thanks for that," Ron said.

"Don't mention it," Harry said before we heard a clicking sound.

We looked to see the horde of spiders making their way towards us. Ron threw the car in drive, hit the gas and spun the car around, heading away from the spiders. As Ron drove, in front of us were fallen trees. There was only one narrow escape route.

"That way! It's the only way out!" Harry shouted as he pointed to the route. "Hurry! They're catching up!"

As Ron started driving in that direction, a giant spider landed in front of us, blocking the path.

"Can you get us in the air?" Harry asked.

Ron tried pulling the flying gear.

"Flying gear's jammed!" Ron shouted.

Harry and I put our hands on the gear and pushed with Ron as the spiders were closing in. Eventually, it gave and the car flew into the air, and the car flew above the trees, leaving the spiders behind.

"We made it!" I shouted as Harry and Ron seemed like they were out of breath as we made our way out of the forest.

"'Follow the spiders!' If he ever gets out of Azkaban, I'll kill Hagrid," Ron said. "I mean, what was the point of sending us in there? What have we found out?"

"We know one thing," Harry started.

"Hagrid never opened the Chamber of Secrets," I finished for him.

Harry nodded.

"He was innocent," he said.