Ch. 14: Justin and Nick

The next day, the four of us were all studying in the library. I watched as Harry looked at Ron, who gave him a small, clearly forced smile. Seconds later, Hermione did the same. I didn't, knowing that if I did, it'd probably just make him even more upset about everything that had been going on. As I thought, Harry rose from the table and started to leave the library. As he did so, I followed him, and people glanced at us, but as soon as Harry looked back, they turned back to whatever it was they were doing until he got just out of view of everyone, where he stopped me and put a finger to his lips, clearly trying to listen for something.

"So, anyway, I told Justin to hide up in our dormitory. I mean to say, if Potter's marked him down as his next victim, it's best he keeps a low profile for a while," a voice that I recognized as a Hufflepuff named Ernie Macmillan said.

"But why would he want to attack Justin?" another voice, one I recognized as Hannah Abbot, asked.

"Justin let it slip to Potter that he was Muggle-born," Ernie said.

"And you definitely think Potter's the Heir of Slytherin?" Hannah asked.

"Hannah, he's a Parselmouth. Everyone knows that's the mark of a dark wizard. Have you ever heard of a decent one who could talk to snakes? They called Slytherin himself Serpent-tongue," Ernie said. "Remember what was written on the wall: 'Enemies of the Heir, beware'. Potter had some sort of run-in with Filch. Next thing we know, Filch's cat's attacked. That first-year Creevey's been annoying Potter. Then Creevey's attacked."

"He always seems so nice, though. And, after all, he is the one who made You-Know-Who disappear," Hannah said.

"That's probably why You-Know-Who wanted to kill him in the first place. Didn't want another Dark Lord competing with him," Ernie said.

I gave Harry a look of understanding.

"Who cares what they think. You were with us when Mrs. Norris got attacked. We know you didn't do anything," I said.

"I know, but they don't. I need to apologize to Justin and explain what I was actually doing," Harry said.

I sighed before nodding.

"Okay, but in my opinion, you have nothing to apologize for. He should be the one apologizing to you," I said.

At this, Harry turned and left. I returned to where Hermione and Ron were.

"What happened?" Hermione asked as soon as I sat down.

"Nothing. Harry went to apologize to Justin," I said, and Hermione nodded.

Later, we found out that Justin and Nearly-Headless Nick had been petrified. After meeting back up with Harry, he explained how he ran into Hagrid, who was carrying a dead rooster and talking about how something was killing them. He explained how moments later, he found Justin and Nick petrified and how McGonagall and Filch saw him, and Filch was bragging about catching him in the act. He then explained how he was brought to Dumbledore who believed he didn't do it, and also, about Dumbledore's phoenix, Fawkes bursting into flames, only to be reborn from the ashes.

The next day, we were all walking in the courtyard as people were packed to go home for the holidays. Ernie and a few others casted worried glances at us, specifically Harry. Suddenly, Fred's voice came from behind us.

"Make way for the Heir of Slytherin! Seriously evil wizard coming through!" he said, causing Ron to laugh.

Harry didn't seem to be amused by this.

"Oh, c'mon, Harry. Fred's just having a laugh," Ron said.

"He's the only one," Harry said.

"Okay, so half the school thinks you're nipping off to the Chamber of Secrets every night. Who cares?" Ron said.