Journal Entry No. 4

(The fifth page on Luthor's observational journal.)

Journal Entry No. 4

Pre-observational notes for today's journal entry:

Observation on specified topics surrounding the subject will be temporarily discontinued to give LoReLeI the right to proper identification and will require assistance from the observationalist.

Due to this, observational sessions will continue next week.

---------

A whirring sound of a polaroid camera was heard after Luthor took a picture of the trees that serves as entrance to the forest. Giving the developed picture a slight shake of the hand, Luthor hummed in delight when the green of the trees quickly came into view. Feeling satisfied, he placed the camera's strap in his neck, letting the polaroid settle in front of his chest. He then took a book from the car's glovebox compartment before locking it and making his way onto the farthest right of the forest.

Luthor had traveled the same route for quite some time that the minutes he takes to get there lessens with every visit. His fastest record is ten minutes. He bet he could reach it with five with regular exercise. Luthor has no plans of going faster beyond that.

Hearing the familiar sound of falling water hitting itself, Luthor immediately let out a small greeting.

"Good afternoon, LoReLeI."

A woman not taller than 5'1 momentarily stopped carving in the bark of the tree to give her visitor a small wave of greeting.

"Good afternoon, Luthor. You're early today."

Luthor put his hands behind his back as he approached LoReLeI who resumed from carving in the tree. "The student council meeting finished early."

"So, you're part of the student council," her eyebrows furrowed when the spiky stone couldn't get through in the tree. "Let me guess, your the-gah... what's with this tree?"

A disgruntled sigh escaped from LoReLeI's lips. She then turned to Luthor who currently has one of his eyebrows raised at her, obviously amused at her antics.

Before LoReLeI could explain, Luthor made his way in front the said tree, his eyes immediately blinking when he saw what she was carving in it.

"You're carving"-Luthor paused as gave her a sideways glance-"our names in the tree?"

She slowly nodded. "Mhm, it's proof that once upon a time, a young man named Luthor bothered to come here to conduct observations on the half-human spirit LoReLeI."

She looked him in the eye. Luthor wanted to, but as always, he couldn't read the thoughts behind those hazel-brown eyes.

"But spirits live forever, don't they?"

"They do." LoReLei walked back to the tree (closer to him) and started carving again. Her voiced sounded a little strained after that. "But with my condition, sooner or later, I know I'll eventually disappear."

Luthor's grip on the book tightened. There was a meter distance between them, but somehow, her words felt like she was a mile away from him.

"You won't," he said, voice devoid of any emotions but conviction.

LoReLeI stilled . . . she lightly laughed.

"Thank you for the comfort, I appreciate it."

Luthor didn't say anything after that.