Journal Entry No. 5

(The sixth page on Luthor's observation journal)

(There are no pre-observational notes written on this page)

Journal Entry No. 5

September 28, 2017

I brought the observational journal with me when I visited LoReLeI for this week's observation sessions. She looked delighted upon seeing her picture on the introduction page of the moleskin notebook. She really must have liked the picture a lot.

She was about to read the journal when I remembered that I have written some "compromising" notes in it. Subtly as I can, I asked her to check the books I brought her—a mystery/thriller and fantasy romance fiction book.

Her fingers froze from further flipping the page as her eyes widened at me. She pressed her lips together to stop a wide smile from appearing on her pale face although she was not able to suppress the blush in her cheeks after exchanging the journal with me. Muttering a small thank you, she hastily hugged the books and walked towards the picnic blanket.

I know I should feel relieved, but why does my gut feeling tell me her flushed expression was not because of the books?

[ᴛʜᴇ sᴇɴᴛᴇɴᴄᴇ ᴀʙᴏᴠᴇ ᴡᴀs ɴᴇᴀᴛʟʏ sᴄʀɪʙʙʟᴇᴅ ᴏᴜᴛ]

Like how our normal observation sessions go, I started sharing about whatever interesting I recall doing or seeing during the weekdays.

I told her about the student council. What we do and what were our duties to the student body.

I thought she'd yawn and say how it's uninteresting.

She didn't.

She was intently listening to me as if I was a professor giving her a lecture about council responsibilities.

At the middle of our conversation (although I mostly did the talking), I asked her if given the chance, would she want to join the student council... or any school organization for that matter.

She blinked at me a few times before she enthusiastically nodded. She told me she'd like to join a club exclusive for reading and writing.

I didn't expect her answer, but I was not that surprised. Someone as passionate to books is bound to want to write at some point.

I asked her what she wants to write.

She wore a lost-in-thought expression... before she added. If she were to be really specific, she wants to do something similar like me, serve the public but through words and paper.

I remember raising an amused eyebrow, prompting her to go on.

She said I looked serious and passionate about my work, that I seem to enjoy it despite my blank expression and emotionless gray eyes.

I asked her how she could tell when she'd never seen me do any council duties, she replied by leaning close as she made an imaginary circle around my face, close but not enough for her finger to touch.

She retracted her finger before her lips curved into a smile, saying that there was a fond expression on my face when I talked earlier. She were able to easily recognize it as there was a faint smile at the corner of my lips, and my voice sounded serious and professional, showing how I take my duties seriously.

I wasn't able to stop myself and a small chuckle escaped my lips after hearing her words. She appeared surprised for a moment, just staring at my face. It was only for a split-second because like me, she also broke out into a short reserved laughter.

Even now, I'm not sure why I laughed in the first place. None of the things she said warranted laughter. However, my chest felt very light and I think laughing was what I thought of doing to release that overwhelming pleasant feeling I got as she talked about me and my passion.

I was relieved she didn't prod further. She leaned away and brushed her fingers at the stacks of book beside her.

Gazing at her serene figure, I decided to go back to my car and get a spare notebook and pen to give to her.

She didn't want to accept it at first, saying that the books are enough and I can already disregard the first rule. It was selfish on her part, she said. Even if she'd return all of the books the moment the observation ends, she still feels guilty as she's forcing me to buy new books where I could've used that money for myself.

I noticed she was beginning to feel a little restless, apologizing and mumbling at the same time.

I was beginning to worry.

Since I'm not allowed to touch her, I raised the notebook I was holding and used that to gently tap her head with it.

She immediately stopped talking. As I was inches taller, all I could see from my view was her stiff shoulder and her long auburn hair. I then leaned down and peeked at her face from below the notebook.

We immediately locked eyes and for the first time in my life, a faint shiver ran down my spine.

I didn't want to dwell too much about that exchang

[sᴄʀᴀᴛᴄʜ]

Coughing aloud, I assured her that everything I do is of my own will and nothing I did was forced by her or by myself.

She nodded. She have calmed down and became a bit more confident. I thought she'd avoid my gaze like she did when I gave her the books earlier, but she let out a teasing smile, her voice lilted like tea as she told me how my ears are burning red.

It was the second time I felt embarrassed in her presence.

Giggling at my expression, LoReLeI hugged the notebook closer to her chest, thanking me for everything I've given and done to her. She told me she'd use the notebook as her personal journal.

The session ended with me talking about my favorite food and tea and immediately learning she had never eaten anything in her life for she doesn't feel hunger. I told her I'll bring food the next time I visit. Nodding her head, she immediately went to her place near the waterfalls and started writing on her newly-acquired notebook, momentarily stopping to give me an apologetic smile and a small hand-wave of goodbye.

Observational notes for today's journal entry:

The subject expressed great interest in writing. Upon further introspection, the subject once again showed signs of familiarity and desire in human activities.

Observationalist L.M. noted that the subject proclaimed she is not in need of basic nourishment, hence, the subsequent indifferent attitude upon touching said topic. However, it may be due to the subjects' apparent excitement about starting her own journal.

There are little information to form a hypothesis, thus needs further observation and study.