Chapter 5

The next morning, Phayu awoke to the sound of Rain milling around in the kitchen. He could hear him singing and whistling, which made him happy. He scooped up his clothes and placed them into the hamper before heading over to the bathroom for a shower. He made sure that he took a quick peek at Rain, who was making breakfast at the counter and smiling to himself as he sang the song that Phayu had first sang to him. 

After his shower, Phayu had felt much more at ease, especially after talking with Rain last night. He was glad that he had a boyfriend who understood him completely and didn't try to coax everything out of him so aggressively. Rain was so patient with him last night, and his whole-hearted tenderness touched him.

He came down the hallway following the scent of bacon and eggs. Phayu's stomach rumbled. Shit-they'd totally forgotten about the dim sum. He smiled, remembering how excited Rain was to see him last night. Oh, no. He'd also forgotten to talk to him about his exam. He felt like he had made the whole night about himself.

Rain greeted him at the table with a heaping plate of food. Grabbing his hand, Phayu kissed it, and caressed it before letting him go and beginning to eat. Rain knew the other way to Phayu's heart was through his stomach, and as hungry as he was, he would have done anything Rain asked him to in that moment. 

"I forgot to ask you about your exam yesterday. I'm so sorry." Phayu said, in between bites of food. "How did it go?"

"Of course, I aced it!" Rain made a fist and jabbed it into the air, before flipping the egg he was frying. "The questions were kind of hard, but I was more certain of the answers than I had been in the past. I can't wait to graduate!" 

Seeing Rain talk about his future made Phayu think of their future together. He knew that Rain was the person he wanted to spend the rest of his life with, and if he got an internship in his office, it would be the most perfect opportunity to ask him to get married. 

"Nong..." Phayu said, making Rain turn around, a look of suspicion on his face. He smiled and slowly walked over to where Phayu sat. "Can we..." He stammered, suddenly embarrassed that he had called him Nong. "Um...never mind. I'll tell you later." He stuffed a piece of toast into his mouth, suddenly realizing how dry his mouth actually was. Was he really about to just blurt out "marry me" in the middle of the kitchen?

Phayu's phone rang, and he breathed a sigh of relief. He looked at the screen, but it wasn't a number that he recognized. "Hello?"

"Hello. This is Nurse Nan from the natal care unit at the hospital."

"Oh, hello, Nurse. What can I do for you?" He switched the phone to speaker and signaled for Rain to join him. 

"I thought you might like to know that Rainbow is finally out of the incubator, and she is doing just fine. She is breathing on her own and her heartbeat is strong as an ox!"

"That's wonderful to hear. But...how did you get my number?" Phayu was confused, because he hadn't given the nurse his number. 

"I remembered your boyfriend had a broken finger, and I hope you don't mind, but I saw that you were listed as his emergency contact. You two were such nice young men and you were the only couple who ever came to see Rainbow."

Phayu's heart ached. He was happy that she had called to give him the update, but it made him even more sad. They had been her only visitors...ever. 

"P'Phayu..." Rain grabbed his hand and laced it through his own. "Let's go see her tonight."