Chapter Forty Six

I stared at myself in the mirror as I got dressed for Enzo and Leilani's wedding. This was a wedding that I simply didn't want to attend.

It was the full moon and we had all had the mandatory shift. I thought that Enzo and Leilani would get married before the full moon and he would mark her because there's a ritual that needs to happen when an Alpha marks someone. But this pack does things differently as usual.

There's a curse when an Alpha marks someone or when someone marks an Alpha without a specific full moon ritual. What happens is that every full moon afterwards, both parties are sent into excruciating pain. But apparently, in this pack, the Alpha and Luna are supposed to stay in pain for three full moons and only after that, will they be allowed to complete the Alpha curse.

The pain is meant to make them stronger. I just think it's unnecessary.

I stared at myself in the the mirror as I placed the crescent moon earrings on my ear. I had draped my light blue organza shawl over my neck, trying hard to hide the hickeys that glistened on my neck from my encounter with Enzo the night before. They were so prominent that I knew that all of my attempts to hide the red splotches was a complete waste. Enzo did a complete number on my neck. Even the bite from before was still there - two distinct canines against otherwise clear velvety skin.

I stared at my dress. The marvellous light blue tunic with golden embroidery suited me like a glove. Then my hands went to my Assassin's ring. I stared at myself in the mirror once more. This short blonde hair and black eyes wasn't me. It wasn't me at all. I missed my sleek long black hair and dazzling blue eyes.

I missed looking like myself. I missed being myself. I hated this persona. I reached for my Assassin's ring with the intention to take it off. I just needed to see my true form just once. I needed to remember who I was because I was losing myself in this pack.

I twisted the ring around my ring finger as I contemplated taking it off or not. The 'R' shone. I pulled it off partially, about to complete the deed when Willow barged into my room. She startled me and I pushed the ring all the way back up.

"Let's go," Willow told me as she waved me towards the door. "The ceremony is about to begin,"

I readjusted my shawl and hair over my neck before turning towards Willow. We walked out together. Yesterday, after meeting Enzo, I had met Willow because I had changed my mind and decided to drop the plan.

Leilani wasn't so bad. As much as it pained me to say it, Leilani in her own way would make Enzo happy one day. She would be a good Luna. She would be everything for Enzo that I could never be. All I wanted was for Enzo to be happy. And Enzo being happy didn't have to be with me although I wish it was.

For this reason, I decided to let him go. Let him marry the woman who was groomed for the position that I could never occupy. Tomorrow, I would leave with Ronan while Enzo would start his life with a woman who actually deserved him.

If I lived to see tomorrow, I would be starting a new life in Ronan's pack. I doubted that I would do this successfully as the time that Nessa had given me elapsed tonight.

I walked with Willow down the stairs. Then I pulled her in. The whole mansion was decorated with lilies.

"You dropped the plan right?" I whispered into Willow's ear but Willow ignored me. I shook her this time. "Willow, answer me! Did you drop the plan?"

Willow's gaze became darker and dread filled me. I had decided not to do this in order to give Leilani a fair shot with Enzo. She didn't deserve what I had planned to do to her.

"No, I didn't drop the plan," Willow looked at me head on with a determination that sent shivers down my spine. "You held the key to my retribution. Why would I ever give that up?"