Chapter Two

I stare at my picture in the newspaper, wishing they had at least chosen a better picture of me. For the love of the moon, I look like I have eye bags in this photo. I do not have eye bags. My skin is flawless! I groan, realising that that is completely beside the point.

I hate Alpha Kai so much.

I read the article again, noting how my face stands out on the front page - my large blue eyes, overflowing hair, full red lips. How did they even get this picture? I groan again, setting the newspaper down beside me. Now, I'm really screwed.

If the Assassins' didn't want me dead before then they most certainly want me dead now that's for sure.

I let out another long exhausted groan, leaning forward and my hair falls forward too. I don't acknowledge it, too stressed to be bothered but my eyes linger on my gold ring, the italicised 'R' standing out. Although from the side, it looks more like an 'A' than an 'R'.

When you join the Assassins', you get a new name. I was born Rochelle but indoctrinated into the Assassins' as Raven. They take the first letter of your given name and rename you according to whatever seems perfect to whoever is renaming you at the time. Raven was chosen for me because of my hair that's jet black. I quite liked it and have been Raven since then.

Rochelle always seemed too sweet, too aristocrat, posh and innocent for me. Indeed, once upon a time, that was exactly who I was but I grew up since then.

Regardless, I knew seducing Matthew with my real name was a dumb idea but Logan insisted and now look at me - my real name is now plastered all over the front page of my pack's newspaper by my Alpha as wanted!

I throw the newspaper at the wall.

Kai is offering a lot to anyone that can catch me! In his own words, he will apparently "reward them beyond their wildest expectation." Now, I'm screwed. With my face plastered across that newspaper with my distinct long black hair and blue eyes, anyone who sees me would be out for my blood. The Assassins' would also never want or accept me back because I just broke their most unspoken important rule - letting my identity get revealed.

Luckily, this newspaper was only circulated within my pack but I can only think about how long it would take before it circulates throughout all other packs. Now, I can't return to the Shadow Night pack. Not that I was planning to, the Assassins' are everywhere there and they are also and group out for my blood but by the moon, how can I end up being stuck in this lousy pack? It's not even accepted by all other packs as a pack and it is filled with woods. It feels like there is no modern civilisation in sight.

I have to do something.

I pull at my hair as if willing her to speak to me and provide answers. I'm still feeling my hair's smoothness that's reminiscent of silk when I fall asleep.

~*~*~

My hair was held in a high ponytail and single braid and it trickled down my back effortlessly. The red silk nightdress also had my confidence boosted. I knew what I was going to do. It was the only thing I could do and I knew how to do it well.

"Hungry?" I asked, walking into the kitchen to find Logan who was buttering his bread in the dead of night.

"My sister and I have a habit since childhood. We wake up in the middle of the night to eat," He said with a smile as if rejoicing in old memories and I have to restrain myself from rolling my eyes at him. I thought his sins against everyone was what kept him up at night but good to reaffirm the fact that he's truly next to heartless.

I moved closer, snatching the bread from the plate.

Logan looks up at me but I lean down against the marble island, lifting my eyes sultrily through my hooded eyelashes. I pushed back a small strand of hair from my eyes coyly at the same time I make sure that my chest is dipped in such a way that my cleavage is showing just enough to awaken a man's appetite but not too much that he is unable to have his imagination run wild.