CHAPTER 31

Chapter 31

Now that we knew there was a way to take down Kash and Mantah Corp, I had a little bit of hope again. And we knew that we had six days to do it. All we had to do was ruin his plans and make sure that his demonstration for the investors failed.

A little while after the ordeal at the warehouse once we had returned to Mae and the cave we received another message from Darius, and apparently, we were meeting him at the compound tonight.

Thankfully everyone agreed that we should all get a little rest before that so we all crashed. When I woke up I looked around and saw that the others were still asleep. I found it amusing how the one thing we had all learned to do over the past six months was, sleep on command, and that we could sleep anywhere. I got up and made my way over to where Kenji was keeping watch.

"You should go crash for a while," I said sitting down next to him. He looked over at me, "I'm okay," he muttered. "Something on your mind?" I questioned. "Like maybe an awkward conversation, where you said a thing," I smirked, and Kenji's head snapped towards me. "You heard that?" he exclaimed, and I simply nodded in reply.

Kenji let out a loud sigh, "It just slip out, and then I saw the look on her face, and I started to freak out," Kenji cried, "It was awful, she probably hates me now," he added, and I couldn't help but laugh. "It wasn't that bad. And she doesn't hate you. You just need to have a conversation with her, and tell her how you feel," I told him softly.

"It just feels so terrifying. Like telling her my feelings is the scariest thing I've ever done. How did you do it?" Kenji asked me after a moment. "Ah well, I kind of confessed my feelings before I fell out of a helicopter," I mumbled. "The who fear of death thing kind of overrides the fear of rejection," I continued. "Yeah, but you knew how Ben felt about you. I mean we all did," Kenji told me. "I didn't," I said shaking my head. "I mean sure he was my best friend, but I didn't know if he felt the same way I did. I just really hoped he did," I explained. "Seriously, Lilly!" Kenji exclaimed. "I'm very oblivious, I just figured he cared about me platonically. And also, the fact that we had survived, you know, an island of death together, I thought that he had probably just bonded with me, because of trauma," I blurted out trying to defend myself.

Kenji just chuckled and shook his head, "Lilly, you and I are friends, and I care about you platonically. You and Ben obviously had a crush on each other since the day you two met," Kenji laughed. "Whatever," I said rolling my eyes.

"Listen Kenji, I know she cares about you. Even if it turns out she doesn't like you the way you like her, she will still be there for you," I said after a moment. "Yeah," Kenji mumbled. "No. Go get some sleep," I said shoving Kenji over. We both laughed as he got up and then walked over to the others.

I sat there for a while just staring out into the jungle, I must have zoned out because soon enough it was dark. I got up and made my way over to the others. My eyes landed on Ben who was peacefully sleeping, his arm tucked under his head. I made my way over to him and softly shook him away. "Huh, what's going on," he mumbled as he sat up. "It's dark," I replied, and he nodded. "Hey," I whispered as he stood up to wake up the others. I took his hand and pulled him towards me engulfing him in a hug. "Thank you," I mumbled, I felt his arms wrap tightly around my waist. "For what?" he whispered. "For caring about me," I replied before letting go. Ben looked at me confused and I just smiled. "You're weird you know that, right?" Ben said to me. I just laughed and shook my head, "Wow, thanks," I whispered. "But I like that your weird," he added. "Cool. Now we should wake everyone," I smiled.

Once everyone was awake, we headed to the compound. We managed to get past the Raptors and make it onto the roof of the compound with minimal stress. We all climbed up the rope Darius threw down for us, but as Brooklynn climbed up, she slipped, a scream escaped her lips as she slipped waking the Raptors.