CHAPTER 44

CHAPTER 44

A warm breeze blew through my hair. I looked down at my journal, covered in ideas and scribbles. As well as things I had been working on, thinking about, and studying. As I flipped through the pages my eyes landed on the two pages in the front that was covered in pictures. Some were of Ben and me; some were of me and the others. And one big photo at the center of the page was of all of us. It was the first time we all got together after we got home.

A lot had changed  since we made it home. Upon our return, we were officially named the Nublar Seven, not the most creative name every, but it grew on me.
Kenji's father went to jail, for all of his shady business, but thanks to my father pulling some strings, and Darius's mother, Kenji went to live with Darius and his family.
Mae ended up being the full-time custodian of the secret island, which Kenji kept up and running since he inherited all of his father's assets and money. She took care of the dinosaurs and continued to study them in their natural habitat.

I finally completed and published my book, it was an autobiography, based around our time on Nublar. For obvious reasons, I left out the secret island part of our adventure, but I found ways to fill in the gaps.
Darius started doing guest lectures, discussing leadership and team dynamics, as well as dinosaurs. He became really popular amongst the dinos nerds of the world. Brooklynn on the other hand gave up her popularity. When she returned, she stopped making videos. Instead, she began investigating and exposing companies that were participating in unethical practices, something I helped with whenever I could.
Yaz and Sammy were still going strong. Yaz was planning on moving down to Texas to go to college in the fall, so she could be close to Sammy.
Ben went to visit the secret island every summer, to help Mae with the dinos. Normally he would go for a few weeks, but this year he had convinced his parents to let him stay all summer. 

"Lilly!" I heard a familiar voice yell, pulling me out of my thoughts. I looked up scanning the jungle floor below me. "It's check-in time!" the voice yelled. "Oh shit," I exclaimed as closed my journal and slid down the tree I had been comfortably sitting in.

I ran into a clearing, and my eyes landed on Ben who was standing there waiting for me. "Hey," I smiled stopping in front of the boy. He was taller than me now, which was something I didn't mind at all. And his hair was longer, brown locks fell around his face. As I said, a lot had changed. But I had changed too, my hair was long now, and I pulled it into a braid. "Hey," Ben replied.

I looked over and saw Bumpy standing in front of a tablet Ben had set up, she was about to lick it. "Uh, Ben?" I chuckled pointing towards her. "Bumpy, get out of the" Ben began as he ran over and pushed Bumpy away from the tablet. "Oh, hey guys," he said grabbing the tablet, as I walked up behind him. and saw Sammy and Yaz, along with Darius and Kenji on the screen. "Ben, I still can't believe yours or Lilly's parents let you guys spend the summer on our secret island," I heard Sammy say. "Well, I just calmly explained that I'm practically an adult who can make his own decisions," Ben said. "And I called them," Mae said as she walked up behind us. "My parents were the ones who told me I needed to get out of the house," I giggled. "Sammy thanks for that last shipment of meat. Obviously appreciated," Mae added. "Anything to help," Sammy smiled. Suddenly I heard Firecracker squeal, "Ooh. Bye! Bye, bye, bye, bye, bye," Mae cried as she ran off towards Firecracker, who had gotten herself in a jam.

"Super cool of you to keep this place up and running, Kenji," Ben said once Mae was gone. "You guys are doing all the work. Like, I just pay the bills," Kenji told us with a smile. "So, Lilly, how long are you there with Ben," Sammy asked. "Actually, I've only got a few more days before I head home," I said a little sadly, and Ben threw his arm over my shoulder. "Hey, did you all get the signed copies of my book?" I asked. "Yeah, mine came in the mail yesterday," Darius answered. "Yeah, mine too. I really appreciate it Lilly," Sammy added. "You're welcome," I smiled.

"Hey, I only have a sec. I'm chasing down a lead," Brooklynn's voice said over the tablet as she appeared on the screen. "Oh. You go, Esther Stone!" Sammy exclaimed. "Yeah, it's just weird. Darius, have you heard of the Lockwood Estate? It's a little ways north of you," Brooklynn questioned. "No. Why?" Darius asked.  "They're saying that dinosaurs have somehow," Brooklynn began but then stopped. "Look I, I don't wanna say anymore until I have some real facts. It's probably just a prank. Just keep your eyes open," Brooklynn told him. "Will do," Darius nodded. "Brooklynn, listen I've been looking into some stuff myself. You should give me a call later, and we'll talk. I might be able to come out and help you once I get back," I said. "Okay, I will. I gotta go. Call you tonight, Kenji," she said before disappearing from the screen. "Okay, real quick, I love you guys. Care packages are on the way. Camp fam for life!" Sammy cheered. "Oh, Lilly, we're still on for the reunion. Your place?" Darius asked. "My place, two week," I nodded. "I can't wait to see you guys IRL," Sammy squealed. "See you all soon!" Kenji smiled. "Bye," Ben and I waved, and the screen went dark.

I let out a sigh as I looked over at Ben. "What are you thinking?" he questioned. "The Lockwood Estate," I said walking over and leaning against a tree. "You know how I've been going over all the old files, from when Mr. Kon was running the island?" I asked him, and he nodded. "Well, there was something in there, about the Lockwood Estate. Mr. Kon did business with them," I explained. "You think there something to what Brooklynn was saying?" Ben asked. "I think that I have this feeling like I did that day we first heard the Indomous roar from the tree house," I replied. Ben looked at me for a moment, before he wrapped his arms around me, pulling me into a hug.

I froze for a moment but then wrapped my arms around him, burying my head in his chest. "Whatever happens we'll get through it. Just like we always have," Ben whispered. I pulled away and looked up at him and smiled before pulling on his shirt. Pulling him down to me and pressing a kiss on his lips. I felt him move closer to me, pushing me against the tree and putting his hand on my waist. My hands found their way into his hair tugging on it softly as we continued to kiss.

When we finally pulled apart, we were both out of breath, Ben rested his forehead against mine and we both smiled as we tried to catch our breath. "Would you two get a room," a voice called out from behind Ben. We quickly pulled away from each other and looked over at where the voice came from. "Sorry, Mae," we both apologized. Mae just rolled her eyes at us before walking off toward one of the airlocks.  I giggled as I watched her leave, Ben looked down at me shooting me a glare.

"Hey, you started it," I smirked. "I did not," Ben exclaimed, as I began to walk away. "Hey!" he cried following after me, as I wandered back towards the tree I had been sitting on earlier. I felt Ben's hand reach up and grab my wrist, and he pulled me towards him, before placing another kiss on my lips. "You started it," he whispered after pulling away. I scoffed and rolled my eyes, "Fine," I smiled before Ben's lips attacked mine. His hands found their way to my waist again as he pulled me against him. "You're lucky I love you," I told him softly after we broke our kiss. "I love you too," he replied, a smile spread across my face.

Everything we had been through, all of the dinosaurs, the running, the almost dying. I would never wish it hadn't happened. Because if we hadn't been stranded on that island, I would have never met my five closest friends, my family. And I would have never met Ben. They made all of it worth it. And I would do it all again.

~The End~

Hey all! So, listen, part of me is really tempted to write a sequel to this story. One where the Nublar Six (or seven in this case) have to maneuver dinosaurs being on the mainland. But because of how much work that would take, since it would all be my original ideas and plot, I only want to do it if enough readers are interested. So please drop a comment, if you would read something like that.

Thank you so much for all your support throughout this story. I really enjoyed writing it, and I hope you all enjoyed reading it.