Chapter 18 - The Empire Strikes Back

"How ya feelin', kid? You don't look so bad to me." Han says as he enters the medbay, Cordelia and Chewie behind him. Chewie growls. 

"What my idiot brother is trying to say, is that we're happy you're back and regaining your strength." Cordelia says, smiling at him.

"You look strong enough to pull the ears off a gundark." He adds.

"Thanks to you." Luke tells him.

"That's two you owe me, junior." He says. Cordelia rolls her eyes and smacks his arm. Luke chuckles. "Well, Your Worship, looks like you managed to keep me around for a little while longer." He says, turning to face Leia.

"I had nothing to do with it. General Rieekan thinks it's dangerous for any ships to leave the system until we've activated the energy field." She replies.

"That's a good story. I think you just can't bear to let a gorgeous guy like me out of your sight." He says. Luke rolls his eyes and Cordelia groans quietly. Chewie pats her shoulder in sympathy.

"I don't know where you get your delusions, laser brain." Leia says. Chewie laughs and Cordelia chuckles. Han turns to them.

"Laugh it up, but you didn't see us alone in the south passage." He says, moving to wrap his arm around Leia's shoulders. "She expressed her true feelings for me."

"My-Why you stuck-up, half-witted, scruffy-looking nerf herder!" She yells at his back as he walks away to join the others.

"Who's scruffy-looking?" Han asks. He leans closer to Luke. "I must have hit pretty close to the mark to get her all riled up like that, huh, kid?" He says. The group turns to Leia.

"Well, I guess you don't know everything about women yet." She says, standing next to Luke's bed. She grabs his face and kisses him. Cordelia glares and Chewie covers her mouth before she can start yelling. She pulls away and eyes Han before walking away. Cordelia pulls away from Chewie and chases after her.

"Hey! What the hell was that?!" She yells angrily. Leia turns, shocked at her tone.

"He had that coming." She replies, continuing her walk. Cordelia stomps down the hall next to her.

"Leia, that was wrong, and you know it! First of all, you've brought Luke into this and possibly given him hope when we both know that's not gonna happen. Second, how would you feel if the roles were reversed, and Han used another woman to get back at you?" Cordelia says, glaring at her friend. "Both of you need to get your heads out of your asses and admit your feelings! This shit is starting to affect others and I'm sick of it!" She yells before storming away.

"I'm s-" Leia starts. 

"Nope! I'm angry at you now and not ready to accept any apologies. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a brother to lecture." She says.

***

Cordelia joins Han and Chewie to investigate the unknown signal. They head towards its location and spot an imperial probe droid moving around in front of them. Chewie moves to hide behind a rock on the opposite side of the droid as Han and Cordelia.

Chewie growls, popping his head over the rock and it starts beeping and firing at him. Han and Cordelia peek over their rock and fire. Cordelia hits it and they duck for cover as it turns and fires on them. She peeks up again and fires, exploding the droid.

"I'm afraid there's not much left." Han tells the base using his comlink.

"What was it?" Leia asks.

"Droid of some kind. Cory didn't hit it that hard. Must've had a self-destruct." He answers.