Chapter 25 - Return of the Jedi

"Well, look at you-a general, huh?" Han asks. Cordelia chuckles, taking a seat next to Chewie.

"Someone must have told them about my little maneuver at the Battle of Tanaab." Lando replies.

"Well, don't look at me, pal. I just said you were a fair pilot. I didn't know they were looking for somebody to lead this crazy attack." He says.

"I'm surprised they didn't ask you to do it." He responds.

"Who says they didn't? But I ain't crazy. You're the respectable one, remember?" Han replies. Cordelia rolls her eyes and laughs at them before Leia sits on Han's other side. 

"The emperor's made a critical error, and the time for our attack has come. The data brought to us by the Bothan spies pinpoint the exact location of the emperor's new battle station." Mon Mothma says. 

The hologram of the new base orbiting Endor appears in front of her. 

"We also know that the weapon systems of this Death Star are not yet operational. With the imperial fleet spread throughout the galaxy, in a vain effort to engage us, it is relatively unprotected. But most important of all, we've learned that the emperor himself is personally overseeing the final stages of the construction of this Death Star. Many Bothans died to bring us this information. Admiral Ackbar, please."

"You can see here the Death Star orbiting the forest moon of Endor. Although the weapon systems on this Death Star are not yet operational, the Death Star does have a strong defense mechanism. It is protected by an energy shield which is generated from the nearby forest moon of Endor." He explains.

He gestures to the hologram and a shield forms around the Death Star, coming from Endor.

"The shield must be deactivated if any attack is to be attempted. Once the shield is down, our cruisers will create a perimeter while the fighters fly into the superstructure and attempt to knock out the main reactor." He continues.

The hologram zooms into the Death Star, showing the target of the main reactor. 

"General Calrissian has volunteered to lead the fighter attack."

"Good luck." Han says. Lando turns to him. "You're going to need it."

"Ignore him. You've got this, Lando." Cordelia says, elbowing Han and smiling at her other brother.

"General Madine." Ackbar says. The two switch places.

"We have stolen a small imperial shuttle. Disguised as a cargo ship and using a secret imperial code, a strike team will land on the moon and deactivate the shield generator." He explains.

"Sounds dangerous." 3PO tells R2.

"I wonder who they found to pull that off." Leia says. Han shifts and Cordelia pinches him, annoyed he hadn't told her.

"General and Captain Solo, is your strike team assembled?" Madine asks.

"Uh, our team's ready. We don't have a command crew for the shuttle." Han tells him. Chewie growls and Cordelia places her hand on his arm.

"It's going to be rough, pal." He says.

"We didn't want to speak for you." Cordelia adds. He growls again and Cordelia pats his arm.

"That's one." Han tells Madine.

"General, Captain...count me in." Leia says.

"I'm with you, too." A voice calls. Luke enters the room and Leia moves forward to hug him. Cordelia hugs him next as Han and Chewie join them.

"Luke." He says.

"Hi, Han. Chewie." He replies.

"It's good to have you back." Cordelia tells him.

***

"Look, I want you to take her. I mean it. Take her. You need all the help you can get. She's the fastest ship in the fleet." Han says. He stops and turns to face Lando. Cordelia rolls her eyes, standing next to them.

"All right, old buddy. I know what she means to you. I'll take good care of her. She won't get a scratch. All right?" He replies. Han nods.

"Right." He says and turns, walking away. Cordelia pulls Lando into a hug.

"Your safety is more important than the Falcon." She tells him. He chuckles and pulls away, patting her back.

"I know. Be careful." Lando replies. 

"You, too." She says. She turns to walk away, spotting Han watching them.

"I got your promise. Not a scratch." He calls. Lando laughs.

"Would you get going, you pirate?" He tells him. Han salutes and Lando waves. "Good luck."

"You, too." He replies. He waits for Cordelia to reach him before they continue on, Cordelia waving at Lando before they move out of view.

***

"Got her warmed?" Han asks, entering the cockpit. Chewie sits in the co-pilot's chair with Luke behind the pilot's seat, 3PO and R2 behind them. Cordelia takes the seat behind Chewie.

"She's coming up." Luke replies. Chewie growls, uncomfortable in his seat.

"Yeah, well, I don't think the Empire had Wookiees in mind when they designed her, Chewie." He tells him. Cordelia leans forward and pats his shoulder.

"We only have to get to Endor." She says.

"Hey, you awake?" Leia asks, entering the cockpit and placing her hand on Han's shoulder.

"Yeah. I just got a funny feeling, like I'm not gonna see her again." He replies, looking at the Falcon. Leia pats his shoulder.

"Come on, General, let's move." She says. She squeezes next to Cordelia in the seat as they're the two smallest. 

"Right. Chewie, let's see what this piece of junk can do. Ready, everybody?" He asks. 

"All set." Luke tells him as the rest of them buckle themselves in. R2 whistles.

"Here we go again." 3PO says. Cordelia chuckles as they exit the hangar.

"All right, hang on." Han tells the group before they jump to lightspeed.

***

"If they don't go for this, we're gonna have to get out of here pretty quick, Chewie." Han warns as they approach the Death Star and surrounding command ships. Chewie growls.

"We have you on our screen now. Please identify." A voice says over the radio.

"Shuttle Tydirium requesting deactivation of the deflector shield." He replies.

"Shuttle Tydirium, transmit the clearance code for shield passage." The man tells him.

"Transmission commencing." Han says.

"Now we find out if that code is worth the price we paid." Leia says.

"It'll work. It'll work." He assures.

"Vader's on that ship." Luke tells them.

"Now, don't get jittery, Luke. There are a lot of command ships. Keep your distance, though, Chewie, but don't look like you're trying to keep your distance." He replies. Cordelia rolls her eyes at his phrasing as Chewie growls in confusion. "I don't know. Fly casual."

"Shuttle Tydirium, what is your cargo and destination?" The man asks over the radio.

"Parts and technical crew for the forest moon." Han replies.

"I'm endangering the mission. I shouldn't have come." Luke says.

"It's your imagination, kid. Come on, let's keep a little optimism here." He tells him. "They're not going for it, Chewie."

"Shuttle Tydirium, deactivation of the shield will commence immediately. Follow your present course." The man says.

"Okay. I told you it was going to work. No problem." He says. Cordelia rolls her eyes at him as they fly towards Endor.